- Telephone fraud on the rise, BBB reports
- Pet Talk: The seeing eye guide dog birthday
- State Police seize 155 pounds of cannabis during traffic stop
- Mitt Romney won’t run in 2016
- Man shot three times near Oakley Avenue, West Jefferson Street
- Goodwill’s free income tax sites open Jan. 30
- Rock Valley College hosts FAFSA Completion Night Feb. 4
- Stateline Fruit and Vegetable Growers Conference Feb. 5
- Cardiology Millennium Conference Feb. 2
- Scammers lurking to trap last-minute Super Bowl ticket buyers
RSO’s Symphony Saturdays start Jan. 11
The Rockford Symphony Orchestra’s (RSO) four-performance series for children ages 5-10 and families called “Symphony Saturdays” begins this week. The Spectacular Strings performance will be held from 11 a.m. to noon, Saturday, Jan. 11, in Kresge Hall at the Riverfront Museum Park, 711 N. Main St., Rockford.
This family-friendly program introduces children ages 5 to 10 and their parents to the woodwind, percussion, brass and string sections of an orchestra. Following the performance, audience members may attend a Musical Instrument Playground, courtesy of Guzzardo Performance Music, to try playing some of the instruments demonstrated during the program.
The Spectacular Strings feature four string players from the orchestra: Concertmaster Michele Lekas, violinist Matthew Cataldi, violist Benjamin Webber and cellist Richard Evans. The musicians will demonstrate how their instruments create music, how they create music individually and as an ensemble, and perform several pieces that showcase the string family. Members of the audience will also have the chance to participate.
Tickets for Symphony Saturdays are $5 per child and $7 for adults for each session. Those attending all four Symphony Saturdays performances will receive free tickets to a live orchestra performance by the Rockford Symphony Youth Orchestra May 4, 2014. This will provide the opportunity for the participants to hear all four instrument families together as they comprise a full symphony orchestra.
The Symphony Saturdays performances feature the following ensembles:
Jan. 11 — RSO String Quartet
Feb. 1 — RSO Percussion Ensemble
March 8 — RSO Woodwind Quintet
April 5 — RSO Brass Quintet
For more information, contact Lorie Langan at the RSO Office at (815) 965-0049.
From the Jan. 8-14, 2014, issue