- Telephone fraud on the rise, BBB reports
- Pet Talk: The seeing eye guide dog birthday
- State Police seize 155 pounds of cannabis during traffic stop
- Mitt Romney won’t run in 2016
- Man shot three times near Oakley Avenue, West Jefferson Street
- Goodwill’s free income tax sites open Jan. 30
- Rock Valley College hosts FAFSA Completion Night Feb. 4
- Stateline Fruit and Vegetable Growers Conference Feb. 5
- Cardiology Millennium Conference Feb. 2
- Scammers lurking to trap last-minute Super Bowl ticket buyers
RVC President Becherer to depart Jan. 10, interim president named
The Rock Valley College (RVC) Board of Trustees has announced the college’s president, Dr. Jack Becherer, will depart the college effective Jan. 10, 2014.
Michael Mastroianni will serve as the interim president of the college. Mastroianni has been with RVC since 1998, serving in the roles of director, dean and most recently as vice president of career and technical education. His recent responsibilities have also included expansion of a variety of programs and partnerships in business and industry.
A lifelong resident of Rockford, Mastroianni has a long tenure with RVC, and has been a classroom teacher, mediator, and a member of many community and business boards, including: the Rockford Chamber of Commerce; Family Counseling Services; Fabricators and Manufacturers Association Management Council; Entrepreneurship Center; Rockford Health Council; Rockford Area Ventures; Goodwill Industries; and the Rockford Arts Council.
“The knowledge, history and reputation that Mike brings not only to the college community, but also to regional partnerships, is invaluable for maintaining our strong momentum,” said Mike Dunn, Jr., RVC Board chairman. “His relationships with faculty and staff, as well as key partners such as Woodward and Chrysler, and experience with prior accreditation visits will have us ideally positioned during this time of transition.”
From the Jan. 8-14, 2014, issue