- Rockford visitor spending jumps
- The misguided Cecil the lion debate
- State, union extend contract again
- Willow Creek left in the dust by development
- CUB helps residents find best deal
- What the Scott Walker fundraising controversy means for 2016
- Corn prices fade as supplies stay in surplus
- Cubs make history in an unfortunate way
- Pension battle headed for SCOTUS?
- Closed for Progress: downtown’s steady revival
‘Secret Rockford’ contributors revealed
Secret Rockford, a new anthology written by and for Rockfordians, is nearing its date of release. Eighteen of the most interesting articles and short stories submitted to the publisher have been chosen. Topics range from the meteor buried under East High School, to the Simon Peter Nelson murders, the struggle over Rockford’s abortion clinic, the skydiving Santa tragedy, and much more.
Contributors to the anthology come from all walks of life. They are journalists, teachers, writers, photographers, politicians, or just average citizens who are being published for the first time. All have a deep and abiding interest in their community.
Contributors include Jeff Havens, Brandon Reid, Kathi Kresol, Jim Phelps, Kevin Rilott, Dan Creviston, Ted Biondo, D.B. Lane, Ernie Fuhr, Heath Alberts, Nicole Lindsay, Stanley Campbell, Karen Mahieu Lyddon, Scott Farrell, Jami Beck and Michael Kleen.
Secret Rockford will be published by Black Oak Media, Inc., and released in late January 2014. The anthology will feature nonfiction articles, short stories, poetry, artwork and photography revealing the hidden side of life in the Forest City.
Submissions will go behind the headlines and explore the interesting people, places and events that make the city unique. Secret Rockford will expose the unconventional, gritty and sometimes shocking truth.
For more about the project, visit http://www.secretrockford.com or https://www.facebook.com/secretrockford.
From the Jan. 8-14, 2014, issue