- Northern Illinois to get $8.3 million for state construction projects
- Tree-lighting festival kicks off holiday season in Machesney Park
- Roscoe Boy Scout Troop’s tree stand at new location
- Tips for selecting safe toys for kids this holiday season
- Prayer service for World AIDS Day Nov. 30
- Food Bank joins national #GivingTuesday movement
- Lee Hamilton: What lies ahead for Congress
- Rockford Public Schools faces $8.8 deficit, board OKs flat tax, HR chief
- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
‘Secret Rockford’ contributors revealed
Secret Rockford, a new anthology written by and for Rockfordians, is nearing its date of release. Eighteen of the most interesting articles and short stories submitted to the publisher have been chosen. Topics range from the meteor buried under East High School, to the Simon Peter Nelson murders, the struggle over Rockford’s abortion clinic, the skydiving Santa tragedy, and much more.
Contributors to the anthology come from all walks of life. They are journalists, teachers, writers, photographers, politicians, or just average citizens who are being published for the first time. All have a deep and abiding interest in their community.
Contributors include Jeff Havens, Brandon Reid, Kathi Kresol, Jim Phelps, Kevin Rilott, Dan Creviston, Ted Biondo, D.B. Lane, Ernie Fuhr, Heath Alberts, Nicole Lindsay, Stanley Campbell, Karen Mahieu Lyddon, Scott Farrell, Jami Beck and Michael Kleen.
Secret Rockford will be published by Black Oak Media, Inc., and released in late January 2014. The anthology will feature nonfiction articles, short stories, poetry, artwork and photography revealing the hidden side of life in the Forest City.
Submissions will go behind the headlines and explore the interesting people, places and events that make the city unique. Secret Rockford will expose the unconventional, gritty and sometimes shocking truth.
For more about the project, visit http://www.secretrockford.com or https://www.facebook.com/secretrockford.
From the Jan. 8-14, 2014, issue