- Dog and cat adoption event at Children’s Home + Aid Oct. 20
- Arrest warrant issued in string of burglaries
- The Odds Man: Bills, Seahawks good bets in NFL Week 7
- SwedishAmerican to build new clinic in Byron
- Chrysler recall affects 907k vehicles
- 7-year-old struck by car near Walker School
- Final City Market of the season Friday, Oct. 17
- Lee Hamilton: Viewing political corruption more broadly
- Rehearsals begin Oct. 19 for 69th presentation of Handel’s ‘Messiah’
- Amenti Haunted House opens Oct. 17 at DeKalb’s Egyptian Theatre
SwedishAmerican recognized among best in nation for bypass surgery
SwedishAmerican Hospital has received a “three-star” rating for bypass surgery from the Society of Thoracic Surgeons (STS). The STS has developed a comprehensive rating system for the quality of cardiac surgery among hospitals nationwide.
For the time period July 1, 2012, to June 30, 2013, 998 participants submitted data to STS. Approximately 15 percent of hospitals received the “three-star” rating, which denotes the highest category of quality. SwedishAmerican’s performance for bypass surgery was found to lie in this highest-quality tier.
“SwedishAmerican is committed to providing heart care of the highest quality for our patients,” said Cardiothoracic Surgeon Dr. John Myers. “‘The STS’ prestigious three-star ranking confirms the clinical strength of our program.”
At SwedishAmerican, surgical services are provided in state-of-the-art facilities that include operating rooms devoted exclusively to open-heart surgery.
Procedures performed in the hospital’s surgical suites range from coronary artery bypass grafts and valvular procedures to Transmyocardial Revascularization (TMR), which is used to relieve severe angina or chest pain in very ill patients who aren’t candidates for bypass surgery or angioplasty.
Many cardiac services are provided within the Heart Hospital at SwedishAmerican (the region’s only hospital devoted to heart care), while others are offered at SwedishAmerican Hospital, through the many clinics of SwedishAmerican Medical Group and by SwedishAmerican Home Health Care.
SwedishAmerican is a not-for-profit, locally-governed health care system, with headquarters in Rockford. The health system is composed of two hospitals, a free-standing outpatient cancer center, 30 clinics, a home health care agency and a foundation.
Posted Jan. 8, 2014