- Clean water under attack in the U.S. Congress
- Man faces charges following attempted armed robbery
- Discovery Center experiences record public attendance
- Pet Talk: Probiotics for your pets
- Illinois home prices climb 3.7 percent in December
- Supreme Court and gay marriage — U of I expert weighs in
- More than 6,100 residents of Winnebago County enrolled in Marketplace
- First large U.S. delegation to visit Cuba since opening of relations
- Merger complete for Illinois Bank & Trust, Galena State Bank
- Crusader welcomes Dr. Maria Lozano Vazquez
Work nears completion at Avon Street former manufactured gas plant remediation site
From ComEd Fact Sheet December 2013
Work is almost complete for ComEd remediation activities at the location of a former manufactured gas plant (MGP) at 310 S. Avon St., Rockford.
The remediation at the 14-acre site began in April 2012 and removed residues left from the gas manufacturing processes, which operated in the first half of the 20th century.
This work was under the oversight of the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency (IEPA).
Before work started, ComEd conducted extensive investigations to determine the extent of the residues from the gas manufacturing processes to ensure the area would be remediated safely.
Before the demolition, ComEd helped relocate tenants from the former office and warehouse building. Excavation of the site began in October 2012.
During this time, approximately 240,000 tons of soil and debris were removed from the site, and as each excavation was completed, clean soil was brought in to fill the site back up to grade. Groundwater encountered during excavation work was treated at an on-site water treatment plant.
During remediation, air quality was constantly monitored, and odor-reducing foam was used to cover open excavations. Sound and vibration monitors were also installed near active excavations to ensure work was being performed with minimal disruption to nearby residents. No significant issues were detected by these monitors at any point during the project.
Avon Street was closed between Preston and Chestnut streets during the project. As part of the remediation, excavation work was performed in the street to remove MGP residuals. After it was completed, Avon Street was repaved and the sidewalks were replaced according to City of Rockford specifications.
The final stages of work in December 2013 involve removing all on-site equipment, along with site construction trailers.
Next spring, topsoil will be hauled in to cover the site, and the ground will be seeded. This will be the end of remediation activities, and the return of the site to the current owners.
From the Jan. 8-14, 2014, issue