- Former Belvidere North teacher pleads guilty to sex charge
- Police ask for help in weekend armed robbery
- Belvidere football coach returns to sidelines after hazing probe
- IceHogs split weekend on the road
- Dog and cat adoption event at Children’s Home + Aid Oct. 20
- Arrest warrant issued in string of burglaries
- The Odds Man: Bills, Seahawks good bets in NFL Week 7
- SwedishAmerican to build new clinic in Byron
- Chrysler recall affects 907k vehicles
- 7-year-old struck by car near Walker School
Resolve to be a part of the solution
We constantly hear about the deep political divide among Americans. While it is true that we are deeply divided on a variety of social and public policy issues, there are issues on which we are in strong agreement. A recent poll commissioned by the reform group Represent.Us showed that 95 percent of respondents believe it is important that our elected leaders reduce the influence of money and corruption in political elections, and more than 97 percent would support a federal law that imposes “tough, new anti-corruption laws for politicians, lobbyists and SuperPACs.” This includes 82 percent of Democrats and 83 percent of Republicans. There is such a plan. It’s called the American Anti-Corruption Act. Locally, it is being supported by the Represent.Us IL-16/17 District Committees.
Our plan to get the act through Congress is to take it to the American people first. The people will then force their members of Congress to sponsor it. We need your participation to make this work. It is not easy to work with people who have such differing views of the world. But it is necessary if we are to save our Republic. This year, resolve to be a part of the solution (www.Represent.Us, https://m.Facebook.com/AntiCorruptionAct).
Represent.Us IL-16 District Committee Chairman
From the Jan. 15-21, 2014, issue