- Ribbon-cutting for Children’s Holiday Shoppe Nov. 26; shop is open Nov. 29-Dec. 21
- Rockford Rescue Mission invites community to Thanksgiving banquet Nov. 26
- Rockton’s new business district welcomes family owned Dr. Detail U.S. Cellular
- 2014 Illinois Emerging Writers Competition winners named
- Open house for new library executive director tonight
- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
- Education in Illinois making slow progress, according to report
Online fundraiser helps family with funeral costs for 4-year-old killed by family dogs
Online Staff Report
An online fundraising campaign has been launched by the family of Kara Hartrich, the McClean County, Ill., girl who was killed by two pit bulls last week, to help pay for her funeral.
The campaign is at Youcaring.com. As of this report, the community has donated $15,000 of the $25,000 goal. If capable please donate by visiting: http://www.youcaring.com/memorial-fundraiser/in-memory-of-kara/128133
Hartrich was attacked by her family’s two non-neutered male pit bulls Friday, Jan. 17. The 4-year-old and her 2-year-old sister were with the dogs, along with a female pit bull, on the main floor of their Bloomington home when the attack occurred.
Kara’s grandmother tried to save her, but was unable to overpower the dogs as they bit Kara in the head, neck and arms.
A rescue team arrived at the home at approximately 5:10 p.m., and immediately rushed Kara to Advocate BroMenn Medical Center in Normal. She died 40 minutes later from massive blood loss.
Kara’s sister and grandmother were not injured.
Kara’s mother described her as a “happy little girl who loved to sing and dance.”
Under a state law, all three pit bulls have been impounded by McLean County Animal Control and will be observed for 10 days. The female dog was not involved in the attack.
Kara’s funeral was held Tuesday, Jan. 21, at St. Mary’s Catholic Church in Bloomington.
Posted Jan. 21, 2014