- Woman, two teens arrested following narcotics investigation
- Former county officials charged with theft
- New Zion Baptist participates in National Back to Church Sunday Sept. 21
- Donors celebrate new school health center
- Debris cleanup underway near Fordham Dam
- Some good, some bad in Obama executive order on protecting antibiotics
- Two arrested on cannabis charges after search of detached garage on North Henrietta
- Man guilty of drug charges faces 60 years in prison
- Rockford BBB aware of ‘Microsoft’ phone scam
- Judge: Chad Grimm will remain on Illinois governor ballot
Literary Hook: Poem: ‘Spell to Enchant a House’
By Christine Swanberg
Author and Poet
Spell to Enchant a House
Place seven stalks of Day Lilies
in a vase
hand-painted with swans
during the hour of the crescent moon in Gemini
when Venus ascends at twilight
and Mercury retrogrades in the Ninth House.
Turn off all clocks and appliances.
Drape lace over the television.
Lay the vase upon it. Light five red candles
that have the fragrance of cinnamon
in a circle on the kitchen table. Remember
one Christmas from a past life
in another country or a dream
where Chagall donkeys danced on roofs
and lovers floated unencumbered
under Capricorn. Stir together cardamom
and nutmeg. Sprinkle over the candles
while singing a torch song.
If every flame remains, five wishes will
come true. If even one goes out,
there is something you must do. Do it.
Then, wave a wand of crystal sugar.
Invoke the sands of childhood
even those who blessed you with the gift
of pain. Especially those. Twirl
a ruby ring around your index finger.
Use a black swan’s feather and yellow
parchment. Hang the parchment
over the bathroom mirror, and no evil
will live there or anywhere in
your house where only the enchanted live.
Published in The Alleluia Tree (Puddin’head Press).
Christine Swanberg is a local author and poet. She received the Lawrence E. Gloyd Community Impact Award at the 2012 Rockford Area Arts Council State of the Arts Awards.
Posted Jan. 29, 2014