- Goodwill’s free income tax sites open Jan. 30
- Rock Valley College hosts FAFSA Completion Night Feb. 4
- Stateline Fruit and Vegetable Growers Conference Feb. 5
- Cardiology Millennium Conference Feb. 2
- Scammers lurking to trap last-minute Super Bowl ticket buyers
- Sharing memories of Ernie Banks
- EarthTalk: What fish can we eat?
- Rock Valley College hosts entrepreneurship event Jan. 30
- Tube Talk: ‘The Americans’ begins third season
- Conservatives join New Hampshire rally in support of campaign finance reform
Feb. 15 Drink with a Driver Party to assist local racer with medical bills
By Doug Halberstadt
It’s become common knowledge that drinking and driving is taboo in this country. Rightfully so. But, having a drink with some of your favorite drivers from the Rockford Speedway has turned into a fun evening, and this year, it’s also become a way to help a fellow driver with some medical bills.
This Saturday night, Feb.15, it’s the Eighth Annual Drink with a Driver Party. The party gets under way at 6 p.m. at Crazy Times Pub and Grub in Machesney Park. Twelve drivers will be guest bartending during the NASCAR Sprint Unlimited Race. The green flag drops on the race at 7:30 p.m.
All tips earned by the guest bartenders will go to help fellow driver Jimmy Lauder with medical bills. Rockford Speedway and race fans are encouraged to come out and enjoy an evening of racing and friends.
Guest bartenders signed up to pour libations this Saturday include Susan Deery, Ryan Carlson, Nick Cina, Jake and Jerry Gille, Matthew Clossey, Jon Reynolds Jr., Alex Papini, Nick Letsinger, Jeremy Miller, Jason Schuler and James Swan.
In less than two weeks, NASCAR will open their season when they drop the green flag at the Daytona 500. This event provides local racing enthusiasts with a great opportunity to come together to raise some funds for a worthy cause, and also serves as a great kick-off to the upcoming NASCAR and local short track season.
I hope to see many of my racing friends there! I’ll have a Diet Pepsi … make it a double!
Doug Halberstadt can be reached via e-mail at Dougster61@aol.com.
Posted Feb. 11, 2014