- Woman, two teens arrested following narcotics investigation
- Former county officials charged with theft
- New Zion Baptist participates in National Back to Church Sunday Sept. 21
- Donors celebrate new school health center
- Debris cleanup underway near Fordham Dam
- Some good, some bad in Obama executive order on protecting antibiotics
- Two arrested on cannabis charges after search of detached garage on North Henrietta
- Man guilty of drug charges faces 60 years in prison
- Rockford BBB aware of ‘Microsoft’ phone scam
- Judge: Chad Grimm will remain on Illinois governor ballot
Woman charged with snatching Town of Beloit baby held in own cell
By Jim Hagerty
The 31-year-old woman accused of snatching a 4-day-old infant from his crib in the Town of Beloit last week is being held away from the jail’s general population for safety reasons, officials in Iowa said Tuesday, Feb. 11.
According to Cedar County Sheriff Warren Washington, Kristen R. Smith, of Denver, is in her own cell inside the Cedar County Jail in Tipton, Iowa. She is segregated because other female inmates have seen media coverage of the case and know of Smith’s charges.
Smith is being held on federal kidnapping charges in the case of baby Kayden Powell, who was stolen from his bassinet in the early morning hours of Thursday, Feb. 6. Prosecutors say Smith, the baby’s aunt, took the boy and was on her way to Colorado when she was arrested in West Branch, Iowa Friday, Feb. 7.
According to the complaint, the baby was found in a plastic crate outside a gas station shortly before Smith was arrested. Police say Smith was in possession of a prosthetic pregnancy belly and baby clothing and intended on telling friends in Colorado she gave birth to Kayden.
Meanwhile, Kayden has been reunited with his parents, 18-year-old Brianna Marshall, and Bruce Powell, 23. Smith is Marshall’s half-sister.
Smith was charged in the U.S. District Court in Madison, Wis., Friday, Feb. 7. She could spend the rest of her life in prison if convicted.