- Clean water under attack in the U.S. Congress
- Man faces charges following attempted armed robbery
- Discovery Center experiences record public attendance
- Pet Talk: Probiotics for your pets
- Illinois home prices climb 3.7 percent in December
- Supreme Court and gay marriage — U of I expert weighs in
- More than 6,100 residents of Winnebago County enrolled in Marketplace
- First large U.S. delegation to visit Cuba since opening of relations
- Merger complete for Illinois Bank & Trust, Galena State Bank
- Crusader welcomes Dr. Maria Lozano Vazquez
Literary Hook: Poem: ‘Out of Area’ by Linda Melville
By Christine Swanberg
Author and Poet
Out of Area
By Linda Melville
My bubble dissolves
as I flow toward the surface
to ride the current of a new day
you are not there at all.
Out of Area
the phone said
and so you are.
I begin my day a little mournfully
afloat for now
but without my life preserver.
I hang on to the moment when
clambering my way out of the murky gel of night
remembering you substantial beside me
bundled in quilts, content in comforter
resisting morning’s call
as you have done for ten thousand dawns.
Linda Melville grew up on the southwest side of Chicago and came to Rockford to student teach at Carlson Elementary, where she taught for the next 39 years. Writing has always been an important part of her personal and professional life, whether practicing the craft herself or sharing her passion with her students.
Christine Swanberg is a local author and poet. She received the Lawrence E. Gloyd Community Impact Award at the 2012 Rockford Area Arts Council State of the Arts Awards.
Posted Feb. 12, 2014