- Woman, two teens arrested following narcotics investigation
- Former county officials charged with theft
- New Zion Baptist participates in National Back to Church Sunday Sept. 21
- Donors celebrate new school health center
- Debris cleanup underway near Fordham Dam
- Some good, some bad in Obama executive order on protecting antibiotics
- Two arrested on cannabis charges after search of detached garage on North Henrietta
- Man guilty of drug charges faces 60 years in prison
- Rockford BBB aware of ‘Microsoft’ phone scam
- Judge: Chad Grimm will remain on Illinois governor ballot
Literary Hook: Poem: ‘Out of Area’ by Linda Melville
By Christine Swanberg
Author and Poet
Out of Area
By Linda Melville
My bubble dissolves
as I flow toward the surface
to ride the current of a new day
you are not there at all.
Out of Area
the phone said
and so you are.
I begin my day a little mournfully
afloat for now
but without my life preserver.
I hang on to the moment when
clambering my way out of the murky gel of night
remembering you substantial beside me
bundled in quilts, content in comforter
resisting morning’s call
as you have done for ten thousand dawns.
Linda Melville grew up on the southwest side of Chicago and came to Rockford to student teach at Carlson Elementary, where she taught for the next 39 years. Writing has always been an important part of her personal and professional life, whether practicing the craft herself or sharing her passion with her students.
Christine Swanberg is a local author and poet. She received the Lawrence E. Gloyd Community Impact Award at the 2012 Rockford Area Arts Council State of the Arts Awards.
Posted Feb. 12, 2014