- Man sentenced to 12 years in fatal hit-and-run
- White House fence jumper charged with kicking Secret Service dogs
- Man arrested on child pornography charges
- Woman hit with liquor bottle during home invasion
- Police arrest robbery suspect
- Rockford area trick-or-treat times
- The Odds Man: Three road dogs good bets in NFL Week 8
- IceHogs nipped in third period, return home Saturday
- BGA sues Chicago Police Department over transparency
- Clean water groups highlight progress for Apple River, call for more success stories
Literary Hook: Poem: ‘Out of Area’ by Linda Melville
By Christine Swanberg
Author and Poet
Out of Area
By Linda Melville
My bubble dissolves
as I flow toward the surface
to ride the current of a new day
you are not there at all.
Out of Area
the phone said
and so you are.
I begin my day a little mournfully
afloat for now
but without my life preserver.
I hang on to the moment when
clambering my way out of the murky gel of night
remembering you substantial beside me
bundled in quilts, content in comforter
resisting morning’s call
as you have done for ten thousand dawns.
Linda Melville grew up on the southwest side of Chicago and came to Rockford to student teach at Carlson Elementary, where she taught for the next 39 years. Writing has always been an important part of her personal and professional life, whether practicing the craft herself or sharing her passion with her students.
Christine Swanberg is a local author and poet. She received the Lawrence E. Gloyd Community Impact Award at the 2012 Rockford Area Arts Council State of the Arts Awards.
Posted Feb. 12, 2014