- Man guilty of drug charges faces 60 years in prison
- Rockford BBB aware of ‘Microsoft’ phone scam
- Judge: Chad Grimm will remain on Illinois governor ballot
- Forest-preserve sex sting nets 10
- Armed robbery reported at Machesney Park CVS
- Lee Hamilton: President, Congress should work together on military intervention
- Ethnic Parade and Festival Sunday, Sept. 21
- Symphony begins 80th season Sept. 20
- Vikings bar Adrian Peterson from team activities
- Mr. Green Car: A car from your printer
Two join music staff at Mendelssohn PAC
Mendelssohn Performing Arts Center (MPAC) has announced the addition of Dean Loy, trumpet instructor, and Matthew Guschl, oboe instructor, to MPAC’s music faculty. Loy’s private trumpet lessons will be offered as one-half hour, three-quarter hour, and one-hour sessions on Fridays from 3 to 9 p.m. Guschl will offer private oboe lessons as one-half hour, three-quarter hour, and one-hour sessions on a flexible schedule throughout the week.
Loy has a bachelor’s and a master’s in music education (instrumental emphasis) from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. He has several years of experience as a band and orchestra director in Crystal Lake, Decatur and Durand, Ill., as well as in Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. He has more than 15 years of experience teaching private wind instrument lessons and plays trumpet on a regular basis in the orchestra of a large regional church in Rockford. He has also played in the Beloit-Janesville Symphony Orchestra, The Kishwaukee Valley Concert Band and the Rockford Summer Concert Band.
Guschl earned his DMA in oboe performance from the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, studying with Dr. Stephen Caplan. He earned his MM and BME from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign studying with John Dee. While in Las Vegas, Guschl was a member of the Las Vegas Wind Quintet and the English hornist for the Henderson Symphony. He has also performed with the Las Vegas Philharmonic, the Las Vegas Sinfonietta and the Rockford Symphony Orchestra. Guschl grew up in the Rockford area and played in the Rockford Youth Symphony Orchestra and Starlight Theater pit orchestras for several years.
Call Mendelssohn’s office at (815) 964-9713 for details or to register for a class.
From the Feb. 12-18, 2014, issue