- Boys’ basketball holiday tournament tips off tonight
- Ribbon-cutting for Children’s Holiday Shoppe Nov. 26; shop is open Nov. 29-Dec. 21
- Rockford Rescue Mission invites community to Thanksgiving banquet Nov. 26
- Rockton’s new business district welcomes family owned Dr. Detail U.S. Cellular
- 2014 Illinois Emerging Writers Competition winners named
- Open house for new library executive director tonight
- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
Workshops to help volunteers prepare for April 26-27 The Gathering at Macktown
ROCKTON, Ill. — Macktown Living History in Rockton, Ill., is offering four free workshops for people interested in local history, clothing construction, camping, cooking, weaponry and tools of the early 1800s.
Most of the participants are also interested in re-enacting, but there are always other areas of volunteerism that can be utilized during The Gathering at Macktown, April 26-27.
Participants in the four workshops will learn specific skills, and they do not have to attend all four. Participants may attend without obligation to the organization.
The first two workshops will be Saturdays Feb. 15 and March 15 from noon to 2 p.m. The workshops will focus on Macktown site history, and creating an individual identity to portray. One of the speakers is Bob Paine. He is an experienced re-enactor and instructor who specializes in creating an identity.
The second two workshops will be Saturdays March 29 and April 12 from noon to 2 p.m. Those workshops will focus on developing a specific genre and identity (time period, settler, American Indian, voyageur, etc.), with an overview of general clothing and construction, foods and cooking, daily tasks, language and weaponry.
For more about the workshops and The Gathering at Macktown, call Macktown Living History at (815) 624-4200.
Posted Feb. 12, 2014