- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
- Week 13 NFL picks: Bears will hand Lions another Turkey Day loss
- Rockford’s holiday tradition Stroll on State set for Saturday, Nov. 29
- Webb’s RVC Studio winter full of love stories
- Tube Talk: ‘American Masters: Bing Crosby Rediscovered’ to be featured on PBS
- Craft Beer Scene Around Rockford: A nice break-in beer for those who want to try bourbon barrel-aged beer
- Tales from the Trough: IceHogs rebound with four straight wins
- Clean water groups, small business owners, community leaders celebrate Clean Water Act
- Police investigate death of 71-year-old man who was struck in October while riding in his wheelchair
Kayden Powell kidnap suspect in court on Texas warrant
By Jim Hagerty
The woman who allegedly snatched her half-sister’s baby from his crib in the Town of Beloit, Wis., last week is due in court Friday on Texas warrant.
Kristen Smith, 31, was arrested last Thursday, Feb. 6, in Iowa. Police say she was wasnted on a Texas warrant for tampering with government records. When she was being questioned about the kidnapping, she told investigators she did not know the whereabouts of 6-day-old Kayden Powell.
Police later located the baby in a plastic crate outside a gas station in West Branch, Iowa. Smith had a fake pregnancy belly and baby clothes when she was stopped, police said.
Investigators believe she was on her way to Colorado and was planning to tell friends she gave birth to the baby.
Smith is being held in Tipton, Iowa on the Texas warrant and an Iowa charge for child endangerment. Federal kidnapping charges have also been filed against her in the U.S. District Court in Madison, Wis.
Kayden Powell has since been reunited with his parents, Brianna Marshall and Bruce Powell. He was not harmed.