- State Roundup: NIU employee improperly reimbursed $30K
- State Roundup: Governor signs budget fix bills
- Rauner, Democratic leaders shake hands and make law
- State roundup: National guardsman and cousin arrested in terror plot
- Lawmaker says license plate readers a privacy threat
- Bryant not the first to feel impact of free agency rules
- State Roundup: Parents’ group calls for standardized test opt-out bill
- Hononegah Mack: ‘The best woman in the county’
- The tip of the iceberg: Human trafficking in America
- State Roundup: House passes proposal to fill current fiscal year budget gap
Kayden Powell kidnap suspect in court on Texas warrant
By Jim Hagerty
The woman who allegedly snatched her half-sister’s baby from his crib in the Town of Beloit, Wis., last week is due in court Friday on Texas warrant.
Kristen Smith, 31, was arrested last Thursday, Feb. 6, in Iowa. Police say she was wasnted on a Texas warrant for tampering with government records. When she was being questioned about the kidnapping, she told investigators she did not know the whereabouts of 6-day-old Kayden Powell.
Police later located the baby in a plastic crate outside a gas station in West Branch, Iowa. Smith had a fake pregnancy belly and baby clothes when she was stopped, police said.
Investigators believe she was on her way to Colorado and was planning to tell friends she gave birth to the baby.
Smith is being held in Tipton, Iowa on the Texas warrant and an Iowa charge for child endangerment. Federal kidnapping charges have also been filed against her in the U.S. District Court in Madison, Wis.
Kayden Powell has since been reunited with his parents, Brianna Marshall and Bruce Powell. He was not harmed.