- Keeping up with Aida: A western adventure, part three
- State prepares for thousands of medical marijuana applications
- Rockford’s Choices Natural Market celebrates Non-GMO Month
- Week 5 NFL picks: Lions to improve to 4-1, Packers and Bears will keep pace at 3-2
- Craft Beer Scene Around Rockford: Revolution Brewing’s Oktoberfest offers good all-around balance
- Rockford’s Fall ArtScene at 37 locations Oct. 3-4
- Tales from the Trough: Preseason interview with ‘The Voice of the IceHogs,’ Mike Peck
- Mr. Green Car: Saltwater-powered car: the Quant e-Sportlimousine
- Charges re-filed against seven Hells Angels
- Tube Talk: Addicted to ‘Rehab Addict’
Volunteers sought to read news on the radio
Have you ever thought being on the radio might be fun? Here’s your chance to reach more than 600 listeners in northern Illinois and southern Wisconsin.
Northern Illinois Radio Information Service (NIRIS) needs volunteer radio readers to read newspapers and magazines to people who are print-impaired.
NIRIS is broadcast on a sub-carrier channel of WNIJ/FM (89.5), a Northern Illinois University public service station, and was established in 1979 in DeKalb, Ill. NIRIS now has its headquarters in Rockford, with studio facilities in both Rockford and DeKalb.
NIRIS is also a member of Illinois Radio Information Service, Inc., and the International Association of Audio Information Services. NIRIS listeners must have a pre-tuned SCA (Subsidiary Communications Authorization) receiver to pick up the closed-circuit broadcast, and these are loaned free to those eligible to receive them.
The broadcast schedule includes 23 local and regional newspapers, along with several national newspapers, books and programs of special interest, all read by volunteer readers. Opportunities throughout the day are to broadcast live, or various recorded programs air in the evening or on the weekend. Programs are usually aired weekly and are one to two hours long.
To receive a volunteer application, contact Cindy Lynn Ostergard at (815) 972-2955 or email@example.com in the Rockford area or Doug Herrington in the DeKalb area at (815) 753-0076.
From the Feb. 19-25, 2014, issue