- BGA sues Chicago Police Department over transparency
- Clean water groups highlight progress for Apple River, call for more success stories
- Lincoln associates found in recently discovered 1840 Menard County census
- BIFF Year ’Round presents the documentary ‘Slingshot’ Oct. 29
- Rockford’s Discovery Center presents ‘Spooky Science’ Oct. 25
- Academic Dr. Duke Pesta speaks against Common Core, part 2
- Rockford Record Crawl 2014 celebrates music, indie retailers
- Early voting continues after ballot error corrected
- Caruana outpacing Springer in money race for sheriff
- Week 8 NFL picks: Lions, Packers will continue to share NFC North lead
Local butcher in semi-finals of meat-cutting challenge
Online Staff Report
A Rockford butcher proved he’s a cut above the competition. After slicing past other butchers in a regional challenge last year, Eugene Proevenzano advanced to the semi-finals of a National Meat Cutting Challenge, presented by A1. Proevenzano will compete Feb. 25 at The Ice Factory in Kissimmee, Fla., in the semi-finals round of the National Meat Cutting Challenge.
Proevenzano will join 87 professional meat cutters from around the nation all vying for the title Meat Cutter of the Year and a grand prize of $20,000. The frigid conditions and large venue make it the perfect place to test the skills of master meat cutters.
The competition begins with three regional competitions to narrow the field. Then, Wednesday, Feb. 26, the top 24 meat cutters in the nation will face off in the semi-final round. The top eight will move on to the final competition April 27 at Amelia Island, Fla. The winner of the national competition receives the grand prize of $20,000 and is crowned Meat Cutter of the Year.
As a meat cutter, Proevenzano is responsible for hand-cutting every steak that is served at Rockford’s Texas Roadhouse. In an average year, each will cut about $1 million worth of meat and spend seven to eight hours a day in the 35-degree walk-in cooler where he works making sure the meat stays fresh.
Posted Feb. 21, 2014