- Entertainment abound for this week’s First Friday
- State Roundup: Special election dates set
- Test drive: the 2015 Ford F-150
- Fracking never on a path to sustainability
- Indiana boxes itself into legal corner
- TRRT April 1-7 | Online Edition
- Guest Commentary: the Rockford Apartment Association
- State Roundup: NIU employee improperly reimbursed $30K
- State Roundup: Governor signs budget fix bills
- Rauner, Democratic leaders shake hands and make law
Charges filed in fatal crash on Summit Street
Online Staff Report
A Rockford man was pronounced dead after the car he was in crashed into a tree Sunday morning, Feb. 23.
Police say a Chevy Impala driven by 20-year-old Martel Ford was northbound on Summit Street near Greenwood Avenue around 2 a.m. Sunday, when it struck the tree, killing the back-seat passenger.
Derek Ellis, 21, of Rockford, was pronounced dead at the scene.
Ford has been charged with DUI, three counts of aggravated DUI causing death, driving on a suspended license, failure to reduce speed to avoid an accident, operating an uninsured vehicle and minor drinking.
A front-seat passenger was treated for non-life-threatening injures.