- Hastert indicted on federal charges
- State Roundup: Worker’s Comp proposal fails to make it out of committee
- Water advocates, Illinois businesses applaud release of EPA’s Clean Water Rule
- Renewable energy gains market share
- 13 arrested in FIFA probe
- Rockford Rocked Interview with Paul Bronson
- State Roundup: House passes youth concussion legislation
- Moving out
- Illinois’ guaranteed-tuition law making college less affordable
- ‘Ex Machina’ a pick for awards season
Charges filed in fatal crash on Summit Street
Online Staff Report
A Rockford man was pronounced dead after the car he was in crashed into a tree Sunday morning, Feb. 23.
Police say a Chevy Impala driven by 20-year-old Martel Ford was northbound on Summit Street near Greenwood Avenue around 2 a.m. Sunday, when it struck the tree, killing the back-seat passenger.
Derek Ellis, 21, of Rockford, was pronounced dead at the scene.
Ford has been charged with DUI, three counts of aggravated DUI causing death, driving on a suspended license, failure to reduce speed to avoid an accident, operating an uninsured vehicle and minor drinking.
A front-seat passenger was treated for non-life-threatening injures.