- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
- Education in Illinois making slow progress, according to report
- Illinois GOP Congressional delegation: Obama’s immigration plan undermines rule of law
- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
Charges filed in fatal crash on Summit Street
Online Staff Report
A Rockford man was pronounced dead after the car he was in crashed into a tree Sunday morning, Feb. 23.
Police say a Chevy Impala driven by 20-year-old Martel Ford was northbound on Summit Street near Greenwood Avenue around 2 a.m. Sunday, when it struck the tree, killing the back-seat passenger.
Derek Ellis, 21, of Rockford, was pronounced dead at the scene.
Ford has been charged with DUI, three counts of aggravated DUI causing death, driving on a suspended license, failure to reduce speed to avoid an accident, operating an uninsured vehicle and minor drinking.
A front-seat passenger was treated for non-life-threatening injures.