- Scammers lurking to trap last-minute Super Bowl ticket buyers
- Sharing memories of Ernie Banks
- EarthTalk: What fish can we eat?
- Rock Valley College hosts entrepreneurship event Jan. 30
- Tube Talk: ‘The Americans’ begins third season
- Conservatives join New Hampshire rally in support of campaign finance reform
- 11 public housing residents complete job readiness training
- Youth health care enrollment event at NIU Rockford Jan. 29
- More than 50 employers at Jan. 29 job fair
- School district’s credit rating remains solid
Charges filed in fatal crash on Summit Street
Online Staff Report
A Rockford man was pronounced dead after the car he was in crashed into a tree Sunday morning, Feb. 23.
Police say a Chevy Impala driven by 20-year-old Martel Ford was northbound on Summit Street near Greenwood Avenue around 2 a.m. Sunday, when it struck the tree, killing the back-seat passenger.
Derek Ellis, 21, of Rockford, was pronounced dead at the scene.
Ford has been charged with DUI, three counts of aggravated DUI causing death, driving on a suspended license, failure to reduce speed to avoid an accident, operating an uninsured vehicle and minor drinking.
A front-seat passenger was treated for non-life-threatening injures.