- Rauner to Smiddy: No debate for you
- State Roundup: Moody’s: Regardless of reform, Chicago pension will grow for years
- State Roundup: State could see up to $500 million in unexpected revenue for current FY
- Tax revenues up, Rauner to restore $26 million ‘Good Friday’ cuts
- First Friday Lineup: May 1
- State Roundup: Former governor Walker passes away
- Mayors decry local funding cut proposal, say expect cuts to services
- Senate rejects bill to ban smoking in cars with children present
- Mayors warn of critical cuts if funds are reduced
- Rebuilding Rockford
Charges filed in fatal crash on Summit Street
Online Staff Report
A Rockford man was pronounced dead after the car he was in crashed into a tree Sunday morning, Feb. 23.
Police say a Chevy Impala driven by 20-year-old Martel Ford was northbound on Summit Street near Greenwood Avenue around 2 a.m. Sunday, when it struck the tree, killing the back-seat passenger.
Derek Ellis, 21, of Rockford, was pronounced dead at the scene.
Ford has been charged with DUI, three counts of aggravated DUI causing death, driving on a suspended license, failure to reduce speed to avoid an accident, operating an uninsured vehicle and minor drinking.
A front-seat passenger was treated for non-life-threatening injures.