- Crime control is not the responsibility of landlords
- Fly over to the Poplar Grove Wings and Wheels Museum benefit
- Local leaders warn of budget deadlock’s impact
- SHUTDOWN: Illinois preps for the worst
- TRRT Online Edition | July 1-7
- Governor, AG differ on legality of payroll without budget
- Regular RHA meeting a quiet affair
- Funnel clouds possible through evening
- Smoking bans a breath of fresh air to some, infuriating to others
- Experts break down the SCOTUS gay marriage ruling
Annual garden day in Rockford offers spring inspiration March 1
From U of I Extension
University of Illinois Extension welcomes spring at its annual garden day, Gardening for Food and Fun. This one-day event offers inspiration, ideas, and innovation for area gardeners. U of I Extension educators, master gardeners and other plant experts will present a variety of education sessions. Gardening for Food and Fun offers sessions for the beginner to the advanced home gardener.
Gardening for Food and Fun is held at NIU-Rockford, 8500 E. State St., Rockford, from 8 a.m. to 3:15 p.m., Saturday, March 1. Registration is $40 per person and includes lunch, keynote presentation, and a choice of three additional education classes. To register, visit web.extension.illinois.edu/jsw/ or call (815) 986-4357.
Gardening for Food and Fun will kick off with a special keynote presentation, “The People and Nature Perspective,” presented by U of I Extension educators Candice Miller, horticulture, and Peggy Doty, energy and environmental stewardship. Learn how to create beautiful gardens that also provide diverse natural habitat.
Attendees will select three classes, in addition to the keynote, to round out their day. There are 18 unique educational sessions from which to choose, including re-landscaping your yard on a budget, growing mushrooms, home beekeeping, tried and true garden favorites, creating floral arrangements from your own cutting garden, extraordinary hostas, accessible gardening, perennial gardening and more.
From the Feb. 26-March 4, 2014 issue