- Commentary: Walker’s budget calls for schools to stop reporting sexual assaults
- Wallace hopes for redevelopment expansion
- Teravainen makes instant impact on return to ‘Hawks
- Oregon mayor reacts to Exelon talk of closing nuclear plant
- GiGi’s benefit for Down syndrome, March 21
- What’s the future hold for Rose?
- ‘Hogs keep pace in tight Midwest
- Qatar continues to confound
- Meet John Doe: Keep public notices in print
- Commentary: Rauner’s minimum wage plan just more of the same from GOP
Annual garden day in Rockford offers spring inspiration March 1
From U of I Extension
University of Illinois Extension welcomes spring at its annual garden day, Gardening for Food and Fun. This one-day event offers inspiration, ideas, and innovation for area gardeners. U of I Extension educators, master gardeners and other plant experts will present a variety of education sessions. Gardening for Food and Fun offers sessions for the beginner to the advanced home gardener.
Gardening for Food and Fun is held at NIU-Rockford, 8500 E. State St., Rockford, from 8 a.m. to 3:15 p.m., Saturday, March 1. Registration is $40 per person and includes lunch, keynote presentation, and a choice of three additional education classes. To register, visit web.extension.illinois.edu/jsw/ or call (815) 986-4357.
Gardening for Food and Fun will kick off with a special keynote presentation, “The People and Nature Perspective,” presented by U of I Extension educators Candice Miller, horticulture, and Peggy Doty, energy and environmental stewardship. Learn how to create beautiful gardens that also provide diverse natural habitat.
Attendees will select three classes, in addition to the keynote, to round out their day. There are 18 unique educational sessions from which to choose, including re-landscaping your yard on a budget, growing mushrooms, home beekeeping, tried and true garden favorites, creating floral arrangements from your own cutting garden, extraordinary hostas, accessible gardening, perennial gardening and more.
From the Feb. 26-March 4, 2014 issue