Last week for free pine mulch at 13 tree recycling sites
Free pine mulch is available, while supplies last, at 13 sites in Winnebago County where Keep Northern Illinois Beautiful (KNIB) arranged for Christmas trees to be dropped off for chipping.
Sites are in Cherry Valley, Loves Park, Machesney Park, Pecatonica, Rockford, Rockton and Roscoe. Residents should bring containers and shovels to retrieve the mulch; sites are not staffed, and no equipment is provided.
Mulch availability is not guaranteed; it will be gone by March.
For more about this and other programs of the environmental non-profit, or to express interest in volunteering, e-mail email@example.com, “like” KeepNorthernIllinoisBeautiful on Facebook, visit www.knib.org or call (815) 637-1343.
- 2014 KNIB free mulch locations include the following:
- Cherry Valley — Baumann Park, entrance on South Walnut.
- Loves Park — Martin Park, lot on Park Ridge Road off Riverside Boulevard.
- Machesney Park — Behind Village Hall, 300 Machesney Road.
- Pecatonica — Pecatonica Wetlands Forest Preserve, near picnic area, 4550 N. Pecatonica Road.
- Rockford — Alpine Park, 900 S. Alpine Road; Andrews Park, 800 N. Central Ave.; Blackhawk Park, 100 — 15th Ave.; Don Schmid Youth Sports Center, Riverdahl Park off Sandy Hollow; Gambino Park, 4400 block of Pepper Drive, west of North Alpine Road; and Levings Lake, entrance off Johnston Avenue.
- Rockton — Boat Ramp Parking Lot off Hononegah Road, and Williams Tree Farm, 4661 Yale Bridge Road.
- Roscoe — Valley View Farms, 6440 Belvidere Road.
From the Feb. 26-March 4, 2014 issue