- Sinnissippi Park improvements announced
- Rockford Park District recognized at Illinois Park and Recreation Association Conference
- Man gets natural life in prison for September 2011 murder
- Meet John Doe: Remember the crew of the space shuttle ‘Challenger’
- Tech-Friendly: Update your Adobe Flash Player today
- Tales from the Trough: Rockford skates into all-star break on high note
- Literary Hook: A poem for February
- Hospitals lift visitor age restrictions as number of flu cases decreases
- Winnebago County sheriff names chief deputy
- URGENT: Four votes and we could lose on Keystone
Submissions sought for Congressional Art Competition; April 18 deadline
OTTAWA, Ill. — U.S. Rep. Adam Kinzinger, R-Ill., has announced his office is accepting submissions to the 2014 Congressional Art Competition.
The competition recognizes artistic talent from across the nation, with a winning piece selected from each congressional district in the country.
“I love this competition because it showcases the incredible talent of our young people — and there have been some really impressive pieces in the past,” said Kinzinger. “I always enjoy seeing the 16th District’s winning piece as I make my way to the Capitol, and I’m really looking forward to this year’s submissions.”
The winning art piece will be selected by a panel of local experts and will be displayed in a year-long exhibit in the Cannon tunnel that leads to the U.S. Capitol. The first-place winner also will be awarded travel for two to Washington, D.C., to attend the official art show opening and reception in his or her honor.
Submissions for the competition should come from high school students living in the 16th District (which includes Rockford) and should be submitted to the Ottawa district office by 5 p.m., Friday, April 18.
For guidelines on dimensions and acceptable mediums, visit kinzinger.house.gov. In addition, interested participants can call the Ottawa district office at (815) 431-9271 with any questions.
From the Feb. 26-March 4, 2014 issue