- Celebrate Dia de los Muertos at Riverfront Museum Park campus Nov. 1
- Lee Hamilton: Some thoughts on governing
- Top of Illinois Veterans Stand Down Oct. 31 in Rockford
- CUB shares list of worst customer horror stories
- Park District receives Governor’s Sustainability Award
- Park District’s ‘Ties & Tennies’ fund-raiser Nov. 14; deadline Nov. 6
- Nov. 2 concert celebrates release of Jodi Beach’s sixth recording
- Healthy Halloween Party Nov. 1 at U of I College of Medicine at Rockford
- Three local NFL Flag Football teams head to regional competition
- ‘Hoo’ Haven hosts annual open house Nov. 2 in Durand
County board approves new deputies, ISC funding
By Jim Hagerty
Winnebago County will spend more than $1 million to hire nearly 20 sheriff’s deputies over the next three years, the county board approved Thursday.
Board members approved 18 new deputies and pay raises of 2 and 3 percent for existing officers.
In other business, the board authorized $7 million to help the Rockford Park District make improvements to the Indoor Sports Center and $1 million for Rock Valley College and the Greater Rockford Airport Authority.
Funds for the airport will help bolster a recent partnership between the GRAA and Rock Valley to expand the college’s aviation maintenance program. According to the partnership, Rock Valley College will lease land from the airport to build a 40,000 square-foot training facility.