- Telephone fraud on the rise, BBB reports
- Pet Talk: The seeing eye guide dog birthday
- State Police seize 155 pounds of cannabis during traffic stop
- Mitt Romney won’t run in 2016
- Man shot three times near Oakley Avenue, West Jefferson Street
- Goodwill’s free income tax sites open Jan. 30
- Rock Valley College hosts FAFSA Completion Night Feb. 4
- Stateline Fruit and Vegetable Growers Conference Feb. 5
- Cardiology Millennium Conference Feb. 2
- Scammers lurking to trap last-minute Super Bowl ticket buyers
County board approves new deputies, ISC funding
By Jim Hagerty
Winnebago County will spend more than $1 million to hire nearly 20 sheriff’s deputies over the next three years, the county board approved Thursday.
Board members approved 18 new deputies and pay raises of 2 and 3 percent for existing officers.
In other business, the board authorized $7 million to help the Rockford Park District make improvements to the Indoor Sports Center and $1 million for Rock Valley College and the Greater Rockford Airport Authority.
Funds for the airport will help bolster a recent partnership between the GRAA and Rock Valley to expand the college’s aviation maintenance program. According to the partnership, Rock Valley College will lease land from the airport to build a 40,000 square-foot training facility.