- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
- Education in Illinois making slow progress, according to report
- Illinois GOP Congressional delegation: Obama’s immigration plan undermines rule of law
- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
County board approves new deputies, ISC funding
By Jim Hagerty
Winnebago County will spend more than $1 million to hire nearly 20 sheriff’s deputies over the next three years, the county board approved Thursday.
Board members approved 18 new deputies and pay raises of 2 and 3 percent for existing officers.
In other business, the board authorized $7 million to help the Rockford Park District make improvements to the Indoor Sports Center and $1 million for Rock Valley College and the Greater Rockford Airport Authority.
Funds for the airport will help bolster a recent partnership between the GRAA and Rock Valley to expand the college’s aviation maintenance program. According to the partnership, Rock Valley College will lease land from the airport to build a 40,000 square-foot training facility.