- FIFA adds prison labor to its arsenal
- Sitting on a scoop: the story behind the V-E headlines of May 1945
- Bilderback repeats at Speedway
- US permits Arctic drilling, but questions about safety remain
- ISIS takeover of Ramadi means hard choices face the Iraqi and US governments
- State Roundup: Democrat sponsored prevailing wage amendment passes
- Facebook’s Instant Articles not a threat to media
- U of I expert: Rauner’s pension fix ‘unconstitutional’
- State Senate approves lesser penalties for marijuana possession
- State Roundup: Natural gas vehicle tax stalls in committee
County board approves new deputies, ISC funding
By Jim Hagerty
Winnebago County will spend more than $1 million to hire nearly 20 sheriff’s deputies over the next three years, the county board approved Thursday.
Board members approved 18 new deputies and pay raises of 2 and 3 percent for existing officers.
In other business, the board authorized $7 million to help the Rockford Park District make improvements to the Indoor Sports Center and $1 million for Rock Valley College and the Greater Rockford Airport Authority.
Funds for the airport will help bolster a recent partnership between the GRAA and Rock Valley to expand the college’s aviation maintenance program. According to the partnership, Rock Valley College will lease land from the airport to build a 40,000 square-foot training facility.