- FIFA officials arrested, extradition to US on the cards
- TRRT Online Edition | May 27-June 2
- RAA says legal opinion validates ordinance concerns
- Perfect? Not quite, but Wagner’s latest is up to the task
- Democrats readying $36 billion budget
- FIFA adds prison labor to its arsenal
- Sitting on a scoop: the story behind the V-E headlines of May 1945
- Bilderback repeats at Speedway
- US permits Arctic drilling, but questions about safety remain
- ISIS takeover of Ramadi means hard choices face the Iraqi and US governments
Hoo Haven to release two rehabbed bald eagles May 10
PECATONICA, Ill. — Two injured immature bald eagles brought to Hoo Haven Wildlife Rehabilitation and Education Center in Durand, Ill., will be released back into the wild at a special event at 11 a.m., Saturday, May 10, at the Learning Center on the grounds of the Torstenson Youth Conservation Education Center, 13735 Cook Road, Pecatonica, Ill.
The two bald eagles — “Courage” and “Valor” — were brought to the Hoo Haven facility at 10813 Cleveland Road in Durand, Ill., Sept. 16, 2013, and Oct. 29, 2013, respectively.
The eagles will be released into the wild by Karen and Steve Herdklotz, owners and directors of Hoo Haven Wildlife Rehabilitation and Education Center, and volunteers from the center. The public is invited to attend this event.
Courage was brought to Hoo Haven after it was found in a field on the Hines Farm near Stillman Valley, weak from being covered and weighted down with mud, unable to sustain flight and malnourished. Courage was estimated to be about 6 months old at the time.
Valor was rescued by a pair of fishermen on the Mississippi River after they saw Valor fly into high power lines from the Cordova Nuclear Power Plant and fall stunned and injured into the water. The fishermen turned Valor over to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, and the service brought the young eagle, estimated to be about 7 months old at the time, to Hoo Haven.
Learn more at hoohaven.org or call (815) 629-2212.
From the March 12-18, 2014 print edition