- Boys’ basketball holiday tournament tips off tonight
- Ribbon-cutting for Children’s Holiday Shoppe Nov. 26; shop is open Nov. 29-Dec. 21
- Rockford Rescue Mission invites community to Thanksgiving banquet Nov. 26
- Rockton’s new business district welcomes family owned Dr. Detail U.S. Cellular
- 2014 Illinois Emerging Writers Competition winners named
- Open house for new library executive director tonight
- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
Local county fair queen takes high honor
Miss Winnebago County Fair Queen 2013, Megan Magee, 17, of South Beloit, Ill., was named the first runner-up to the 2014 Miss Illinois County Fair Queen title.
The Miss Illinois County Fair Queen Pageant took place Jan. 16-19 at the Crowne Plaza hotel in Springfield. Seventy-two county fair queens from across the state competed for the coveted title. Competitions included personal interview, speech, evening gown and swimsuit.
Magee is the daughter of Steve and Deb Magee. She attends Rockton Hononegah High School, with plans to attend Bradley University in 2015, to one day become a motivational speaker. She represented Winnebago County and felt honored to place as the first runner-up. She encourages other young women to get involved in pageantry, saying, “Pageants are not about beauty, but building your character and becoming the woman you have always wanted to be.”
For more about entering the 2014 Winnebago County Fair Queen (ages 16-21), Junior Miss (ages 8-12), or Little Miss (ages 4-7) pageants, call (815) 494-1022 or e-mail LuLu2417@comcast.net.
From the March 12-18, 2014 print edition