- Three female fugitives wanted in New Jersey restaurant theft arrested in Illinois
- Man guilty in 2012 crash into home that injured 8-year-old
- McDonald’s: Federal complaint says company is joint employer
- T-Mobile settlement: $90M for cell phone bill cramming
- Shelter Care Ministries gets $30,000 grant
- Even more dead bees?
- Holiday travel: 98.6 million plan getaway, most on record
- Scam artists posing as utility reps, demanding payment
- Holiday mailing deadlines approach, Rockford Post Office warns
- Hispanics more than half of all renters, yet most are uninsured
Support the Independent Maps campaign
We are so lucky to have so many choices in the Winnebago County Sheriff race. Unfortunately, we have no choices when it comes to the six state legislative districts that cover parts of Winnebago, Boone and Ogle counties. Why? Gerrymandering, or drawing legislative districts for political advantage.
In a perfect democracy, there would be 274 primary races for the Illinois state legislative offices this March. However, there are only 32. Gerrymandering has been perfected in Illinois (97 percent of the incumbents won in 2012, most because they had no opponent).
We have a chance to get a referendum on the ballot this November to change this. “Yes for Independent Maps” (independentmaps.org) campaign is going good, but we still need your signature to assure this gets on the ballot. There are many in the area passing petitions. Please watch out for us. You can also sign a petition at the Kortman Gallery and Benson Stone Company in Rockford or The Edge Fitness Center in Belvidere and help put the voters back in charge.
Posted March 12, 2014