- NWS: Thunderstorms expected Sunday night
- McKellen’s Mr. Holmes a satisfactory conclusion
- Rockford visitor spending jumps
- The misguided Cecil the lion debate
- State, union extend contract again
- Willow Creek left in the dust by development
- CUB helps residents find best deal
- What the Scott Walker fundraising controversy means for 2016
- Corn prices fade as supplies stay in surplus
- Cubs make history in an unfortunate way
Support the Independent Maps campaign
We are so lucky to have so many choices in the Winnebago County Sheriff race. Unfortunately, we have no choices when it comes to the six state legislative districts that cover parts of Winnebago, Boone and Ogle counties. Why? Gerrymandering, or drawing legislative districts for political advantage.
In a perfect democracy, there would be 274 primary races for the Illinois state legislative offices this March. However, there are only 32. Gerrymandering has been perfected in Illinois (97 percent of the incumbents won in 2012, most because they had no opponent).
We have a chance to get a referendum on the ballot this November to change this. “Yes for Independent Maps” (independentmaps.org) campaign is going good, but we still need your signature to assure this gets on the ballot. There are many in the area passing petitions. Please watch out for us. You can also sign a petition at the Kortman Gallery and Benson Stone Company in Rockford or The Edge Fitness Center in Belvidere and help put the voters back in charge.
Posted March 12, 2014