- Woman, two teens arrested following narcotics investigation
- Former county officials charged with theft
- New Zion Baptist participates in National Back to Church Sunday Sept. 21
- Donors celebrate new school health center
- Debris cleanup underway near Fordham Dam
- Some good, some bad in Obama executive order on protecting antibiotics
- Two arrested on cannabis charges after search of detached garage on North Henrietta
- Man guilty of drug charges faces 60 years in prison
- Rockford BBB aware of ‘Microsoft’ phone scam
- Judge: Chad Grimm will remain on Illinois governor ballot
Rockford’s JV Icemen win state championship
Online Staff Report
BENSENVILLE, Ill. — The No. 1 seed Rockford JV Icemen defeated the No. 2 seed Plainfield Hockey Team Wednesday, March 19, with a score of 7-3. The JV Icemen bring the state championship back to Rockford for the third straight year.
Trailing 2-0 after one period, Brendon Schoonover and Sean Daily both scored a goal and Michael Butera added two goals to take a 4-2 lead after two periods.
Butera then added two more goals and Schoonover one himself to clinch the title.
Nate Andersen was the winning goalie for the Icemen.
The JV Icemen have a record of 29-13-0. They were led by former Icemen players Coach Brandon Haight and assistant coaches Drew Phillip and Brian Moore. The team has three seniors — Captain Brandon Needham and assistant captains Lou Gilbert and Chase Glidden.
Players of the JV Icemen are Andersen, Kodee Busekros, Butera, Ben Calkins, Daily, Lou Gilbert, Chase Glidden, Mitchell Hansen, Zach Hoffman, Travis Lewis, Jeremy Mattis, Bryn Morgan, Brandon Needham, Brendan Schoonover and Dennis Thornton-Gay.
All players of the JV team are students at one of the high schools that are included in the Icemen high school program: Rockford Boylan Catholic, Machesney Park Harlem and Rockton Hononegah.
Posted March 20, 2014