- Guest Commentary: the Rockford Apartment Association
- State Roundup: NIU employee improperly reimbursed $30K
- State Roundup: Governor signs budget fix bills
- Rauner, Democratic leaders shake hands and make law
- State roundup: National guardsman and cousin arrested in terror plot
- Lawmaker says license plate readers a privacy threat
- Bryant not the first to feel impact of free agency rules
- State Roundup: Parents’ group calls for standardized test opt-out bill
- Hononegah Mack: ‘The best woman in the county’
- The tip of the iceberg: Human trafficking in America
Rockford’s JV Icemen win state championship
Online Staff Report
BENSENVILLE, Ill. — The No. 1 seed Rockford JV Icemen defeated the No. 2 seed Plainfield Hockey Team Wednesday, March 19, with a score of 7-3. The JV Icemen bring the state championship back to Rockford for the third straight year.
Trailing 2-0 after one period, Brendon Schoonover and Sean Daily both scored a goal and Michael Butera added two goals to take a 4-2 lead after two periods.
Butera then added two more goals and Schoonover one himself to clinch the title.
Nate Andersen was the winning goalie for the Icemen.
The JV Icemen have a record of 29-13-0. They were led by former Icemen players Coach Brandon Haight and assistant coaches Drew Phillip and Brian Moore. The team has three seniors — Captain Brandon Needham and assistant captains Lou Gilbert and Chase Glidden.
Players of the JV Icemen are Andersen, Kodee Busekros, Butera, Ben Calkins, Daily, Lou Gilbert, Chase Glidden, Mitchell Hansen, Zach Hoffman, Travis Lewis, Jeremy Mattis, Bryn Morgan, Brandon Needham, Brendan Schoonover and Dennis Thornton-Gay.
All players of the JV team are students at one of the high schools that are included in the Icemen high school program: Rockford Boylan Catholic, Machesney Park Harlem and Rockton Hononegah.
Posted March 20, 2014