- Commentary: Walker’s budget calls for schools to stop reporting sexual assaults
- Wallace hopes for redevelopment expansion
- Teravainen makes instant impact on return to ‘Hawks
- Oregon mayor reacts to Exelon talk of closing nuclear plant
- GiGi’s benefit for Down syndrome, March 21
- What’s the future hold for Rose?
- ‘Hogs keep pace in tight Midwest
- Qatar continues to confound
- Meet John Doe: Keep public notices in print
- Commentary: Rauner’s minimum wage plan just more of the same from GOP
Rockford’s JV Icemen win state championship
Online Staff Report
BENSENVILLE, Ill. — The No. 1 seed Rockford JV Icemen defeated the No. 2 seed Plainfield Hockey Team Wednesday, March 19, with a score of 7-3. The JV Icemen bring the state championship back to Rockford for the third straight year.
Trailing 2-0 after one period, Brendon Schoonover and Sean Daily both scored a goal and Michael Butera added two goals to take a 4-2 lead after two periods.
Butera then added two more goals and Schoonover one himself to clinch the title.
Nate Andersen was the winning goalie for the Icemen.
The JV Icemen have a record of 29-13-0. They were led by former Icemen players Coach Brandon Haight and assistant coaches Drew Phillip and Brian Moore. The team has three seniors — Captain Brandon Needham and assistant captains Lou Gilbert and Chase Glidden.
Players of the JV Icemen are Andersen, Kodee Busekros, Butera, Ben Calkins, Daily, Lou Gilbert, Chase Glidden, Mitchell Hansen, Zach Hoffman, Travis Lewis, Jeremy Mattis, Bryn Morgan, Brandon Needham, Brendan Schoonover and Dennis Thornton-Gay.
All players of the JV team are students at one of the high schools that are included in the Icemen high school program: Rockford Boylan Catholic, Machesney Park Harlem and Rockton Hononegah.
Posted March 20, 2014