- Clean water under attack in the U.S. Congress
- Man faces charges following attempted armed robbery
- Discovery Center experiences record public attendance
- Pet Talk: Probiotics for your pets
- Illinois home prices climb 3.7 percent in December
- Supreme Court and gay marriage — U of I expert weighs in
- More than 6,100 residents of Winnebago County enrolled in Marketplace
- First large U.S. delegation to visit Cuba since opening of relations
- Merger complete for Illinois Bank & Trust, Galena State Bank
- Crusader welcomes Dr. Maria Lozano Vazquez
Rockford’s JV Icemen win state championship
Online Staff Report
BENSENVILLE, Ill. — The No. 1 seed Rockford JV Icemen defeated the No. 2 seed Plainfield Hockey Team Wednesday, March 19, with a score of 7-3. The JV Icemen bring the state championship back to Rockford for the third straight year.
Trailing 2-0 after one period, Brendon Schoonover and Sean Daily both scored a goal and Michael Butera added two goals to take a 4-2 lead after two periods.
Butera then added two more goals and Schoonover one himself to clinch the title.
Nate Andersen was the winning goalie for the Icemen.
The JV Icemen have a record of 29-13-0. They were led by former Icemen players Coach Brandon Haight and assistant coaches Drew Phillip and Brian Moore. The team has three seniors — Captain Brandon Needham and assistant captains Lou Gilbert and Chase Glidden.
Players of the JV Icemen are Andersen, Kodee Busekros, Butera, Ben Calkins, Daily, Lou Gilbert, Chase Glidden, Mitchell Hansen, Zach Hoffman, Travis Lewis, Jeremy Mattis, Bryn Morgan, Brandon Needham, Brendan Schoonover and Dennis Thornton-Gay.
All players of the JV team are students at one of the high schools that are included in the Icemen high school program: Rockford Boylan Catholic, Machesney Park Harlem and Rockton Hononegah.
Posted March 20, 2014