- CUB helps residents find best deal
- What the Scott Walker fundraising controversy means for 2016
- Corn prices fade as supplies stay in surplus
- Cubs make history in an unfortunate way
- Pension battle headed for SCOTUS?
- Closed for Progress: downtown’s steady revival
- TRRT Online Edition | July 29-August 4
- State employees get another win in pay dispute
- Judge tosses Chicago pension deal
- AFSCME, Rauner administration still at odds
Rockford’s JV Icemen win state championship
Online Staff Report
BENSENVILLE, Ill. — The No. 1 seed Rockford JV Icemen defeated the No. 2 seed Plainfield Hockey Team Wednesday, March 19, with a score of 7-3. The JV Icemen bring the state championship back to Rockford for the third straight year.
Trailing 2-0 after one period, Brendon Schoonover and Sean Daily both scored a goal and Michael Butera added two goals to take a 4-2 lead after two periods.
Butera then added two more goals and Schoonover one himself to clinch the title.
Nate Andersen was the winning goalie for the Icemen.
The JV Icemen have a record of 29-13-0. They were led by former Icemen players Coach Brandon Haight and assistant coaches Drew Phillip and Brian Moore. The team has three seniors — Captain Brandon Needham and assistant captains Lou Gilbert and Chase Glidden.
Players of the JV Icemen are Andersen, Kodee Busekros, Butera, Ben Calkins, Daily, Lou Gilbert, Chase Glidden, Mitchell Hansen, Zach Hoffman, Travis Lewis, Jeremy Mattis, Bryn Morgan, Brandon Needham, Brendan Schoonover and Dennis Thornton-Gay.
All players of the JV team are students at one of the high schools that are included in the Icemen high school program: Rockford Boylan Catholic, Machesney Park Harlem and Rockton Hononegah.
Posted March 20, 2014