- Dems, Rauner spar over deficit solution; Senate Democrats poised to pass own version
- Minnie Minoso: Dead at 90, unbeaten
- Bring back legislative scholarships? Proposal faces serious questions from both sides
- First Friday opening for Olive Oil Experience
- RAM announce 74th Young Artist winners
- Texas Two-step: ‘Hogs sweep weekend, return home
- More highlights from the Chicago Auto Show
- Industry response to peak oil not enough long term
- TRRT March 4-10 | Online Edition
- Commentary: Walker’s budget calls for schools to stop reporting sexual assaults
Colon Cancer Awareness Day event at Discovery Center April 5
Discovery Center and the American Cancer Society, along with Rockford Health System, are collaborating to present Colon Cancer Awareness Day from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., Saturday, April 5, at Discovery Center Museum. A variety of activities will be held for adults and children.
Doctors and nurses from Rockford Health System will be in the lobby outside the entrance to Discovery Center answering questions about colon cancer, screenings and prevention. The American Cancer Society will also be on hand to answer questions and provide information. A nutritionist from Rockford Health System will provide healthy snack samples, information about food health for your colon and more.
Kids and adults can take a stroll through a giant inflatable colon that illustrates healthy and diseased parts of a colon. There will be kid-friendly crafts, coloring sheets, and gift bags filled with coupons and snack samples. Everyone who participates in the event will be given discount admission tickets ($3 off) to Discovery Center to use that day.
Contact the Discovery Center at (815) 963-6769 for more about the event. The Discovery Center is rated the nation’s fifth “Best Museum for Families” according to USA Today/10Best.com and one of 12 museums included in Forbes.com’s article, “The 12 Best Children’s Museum in the U.S.”
The museum is inside Riverfront Museum Park, 711 N. Main St., Rockford. Hours are 10 a.m.-5 p.m., daily, and admission is $8 adults, $8 children ages 2-17, and free for ages 1 and younger and museum members. Learn more at discoverycentermuseum.org.
From the March 26-April 1, 2014, issue