- Rockford visitor spending jumps
- The misguided Cecil the lion debate
- State, union extend contract again
- Willow Creek left in the dust by development
- CUB helps residents find best deal
- What the Scott Walker fundraising controversy means for 2016
- Corn prices fade as supplies stay in surplus
- Cubs make history in an unfortunate way
- Pension battle headed for SCOTUS?
- Closed for Progress: downtown’s steady revival
Colon Cancer Awareness Day event at Discovery Center April 5
Discovery Center and the American Cancer Society, along with Rockford Health System, are collaborating to present Colon Cancer Awareness Day from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., Saturday, April 5, at Discovery Center Museum. A variety of activities will be held for adults and children.
Doctors and nurses from Rockford Health System will be in the lobby outside the entrance to Discovery Center answering questions about colon cancer, screenings and prevention. The American Cancer Society will also be on hand to answer questions and provide information. A nutritionist from Rockford Health System will provide healthy snack samples, information about food health for your colon and more.
Kids and adults can take a stroll through a giant inflatable colon that illustrates healthy and diseased parts of a colon. There will be kid-friendly crafts, coloring sheets, and gift bags filled with coupons and snack samples. Everyone who participates in the event will be given discount admission tickets ($3 off) to Discovery Center to use that day.
Contact the Discovery Center at (815) 963-6769 for more about the event. The Discovery Center is rated the nation’s fifth “Best Museum for Families” according to USA Today/10Best.com and one of 12 museums included in Forbes.com’s article, “The 12 Best Children’s Museum in the U.S.”
The museum is inside Riverfront Museum Park, 711 N. Main St., Rockford. Hours are 10 a.m.-5 p.m., daily, and admission is $8 adults, $8 children ages 2-17, and free for ages 1 and younger and museum members. Learn more at discoverycentermuseum.org.
From the March 26-April 1, 2014, issue