- Telephone, computer network outages at 22 Rockford schools
- Byron native selected as Sailor of the Year for Navy Band Southwest
- Illinois Tollway awards $337 million in contracts, sets budget
- 44 earn bachelor’s degrees at Saint Anthony College of Nursing
- Goodwill opens Donation Express site on Perryville
- Rock Valley College to manage TechWorks program
- University of Illinois at Chicago names chancellor
- Salvation Army to distribute food, toys to nearly 2,000 families
- American Manufacturing Competitiveness Act signed into law
- ABC Supply acquires Siding World
Colon Cancer Awareness Day event at Discovery Center April 5
Discovery Center and the American Cancer Society, along with Rockford Health System, are collaborating to present Colon Cancer Awareness Day from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., Saturday, April 5, at Discovery Center Museum. A variety of activities will be held for adults and children.
Doctors and nurses from Rockford Health System will be in the lobby outside the entrance to Discovery Center answering questions about colon cancer, screenings and prevention. The American Cancer Society will also be on hand to answer questions and provide information. A nutritionist from Rockford Health System will provide healthy snack samples, information about food health for your colon and more.
Kids and adults can take a stroll through a giant inflatable colon that illustrates healthy and diseased parts of a colon. There will be kid-friendly crafts, coloring sheets, and gift bags filled with coupons and snack samples. Everyone who participates in the event will be given discount admission tickets ($3 off) to Discovery Center to use that day.
Contact the Discovery Center at (815) 963-6769 for more about the event. The Discovery Center is rated the nation’s fifth “Best Museum for Families” according to USA Today/10Best.com and one of 12 museums included in Forbes.com’s article, “The 12 Best Children’s Museum in the U.S.”
The museum is inside Riverfront Museum Park, 711 N. Main St., Rockford. Hours are 10 a.m.-5 p.m., daily, and admission is $8 adults, $8 children ages 2-17, and free for ages 1 and younger and museum members. Learn more at discoverycentermuseum.org.
From the March 26-April 1, 2014, issue