- Man pleads guilty but mentally ill in 2013 murder
- Telephone, computer network outages at 22 Rockford schools
- Byron native selected as Sailor of the Year for Navy Band Southwest
- Illinois Tollway awards $337 million in contracts, sets budget
- 44 earn bachelor’s degrees at Saint Anthony College of Nursing
- Goodwill opens Donation Express site on Perryville
- Rock Valley College to manage TechWorks program
- University of Illinois at Chicago names chancellor
- Salvation Army to distribute food, toys to nearly 2,000 families
- American Manufacturing Competitiveness Act signed into law
Hands-on Photovoltaic class set for April 26 in Oregon, Ill.
By Dr. Sonia Vogl
OREGON, Ill. — The Illinois Renewable Energy Association (IREA) is offering a Hands-on Photovoltaic (solar electricity) class at 1230 E. Honey Creek Road, Oregon, Ill., from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., Saturday, April 26. The instructor is Dave Merrill, from SunAir Systems, experienced designer and installer of solar electric systems. Both advanced and beginners are welcome.
After an introduction to a typical roof-mounted PV system, the instructor will provide an overview of solar equipment and discuss the differences between “string” central inverters and micro inverters. Grid-tied and battery-based systems will also be discussed.
Designing a code-compliant solar system will be discussed as well, along with the latest in state and federal subsidies.
After lunch, class members will assemble a real 1-kilowatt grid-tied PV system on site.
Two teams will rotate between laying out the solar panels and making the wiring connections between them and wiring the remaining components, including the inverter, charge controller and breaker switches.
After both teams have experienced connecting each portion of the solar assembly, the unit will be voltage tested and wired so it will be ready to connect to the house breaker box.
The solar system will then be disassembled by the group, put back into the boxes, and returned to the van.
The cost for the workshop is $20 for IREA members and $40 for non-members, which will include IREA membership. An additional $5-per-person charge covers a light lunch.
The maximum enrollment for this class is 16. Advanced registration and payment are essential. Cancellations will be reimbursed, minus a $5 fee for processing.
To enroll, send name, e-mail, telephone number, address and check to Illinois Renewable Energy Association, 1230 E. Honey Creek Road, Oregon, IL 61061. For more information, call (815) 732-7332 or e-mail email@example.com.
From the March 26-April 1, 2014, issue