- Northern Illinois to get $8.3 million for state construction projects
- Tree-lighting festival kicks off holiday season in Machesney Park
- Roscoe Boy Scout Troop’s tree stand at new location
- Tips for selecting safe toys for kids this holiday season
- Prayer service for World AIDS Day Nov. 30
- Food Bank joins national #GivingTuesday movement
- Lee Hamilton: What lies ahead for Congress
- Rockford Public Schools faces $8.8 deficit, board OKs flat tax, HR chief
- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
YMCA unveils newly renovated areas of I.D. Pennock facility
Online Staff Report
The YMCA of Rock River Valley has unveiled two newly renovated areas of its I.D. Pennock facility, 200 Y Blvd., Rockford.
The girls’ locker room has been upgraded, along with a newly-built Harding Center — an innovative public meeting space.
The renovations are a result of funds received through the capital campaign that was launched in 2013. The 10-year, $20 million campaign has raised $1 million in its first year and reinvested nearly $250,000 with these new facility upgrades.
The girls’ locker room is a safer and cleaner environment, thanks to a new sub-floor along with an anti-slip and antimicrobial surface. The lockers and walls received a fresh coat of paint, and additional vanities and mirrors were added.
The state-of-the-art Harding Center is a new meeting space that is available for public rental. The space features a state-of-the-art 80-inch smart board and wireless Internet to conduct interactive and stimulating meetings. For information about renting the space, contact Julie Badowski at (815) 489-1128.
“With over 155 years of service to this community, the YMCA is committed to remaining a responsive, modern organization throughout all six branch operations,” said Mike Brown, CEO and president, YMCA of Rock River Valley. “We are proud of all the changes happening at the I.D. Pennock Family YMCA and encourage the community to stop by and check it out.”
The YMCA’s capital campaign is a continued effort toward sustainability and increased value. The support generated from the campaign will allow the Y to embrace modernized services of today’s world for all ages, move further out into the community in Cherry Valley and/or Rockford’s west side, and promote the health and involvement of area residents.
The YMCA has identified important short-term and long-term capital projects. While these projects include essential upgrades to the 50-year-old I.D. Pennock Family YMCA facility as well as additions and upgrades to the Northeast Family YMCA and Camp Winnebago YMCA, the capital campaign will also allow the Y to reach and expand services to people in need outside of its current facilities. The next upgrade will be new cardio equipment complete with Wifi access at the I.D. Pennock Family YMCA.
Following are some of the items included on the Y’s wish list:
• New Cherry Valley Family YMCA facility;
• Updated interior and exterior signage at all branches; and
• WiFi added throughout I.D. Pennock Family YMCA & Northeast Family YMCA.
Specifically at the I.D. Pennock Family YMCA:
• Walking track elevated to second floor;
• New carpeting and lighting throughout facility; and
• Renovated locker rooms.
Specifically at Camp Winnebago:
• New residential cabins, paintball equipment, expanded trails, maintenance equipment and storage sheds.
Specifically at Youth Achievement Centers:
• New equipment for 26 centers (cabinets, games and supplies).
For more about the YMCA’s capital campaign or to donate, visit www.rockriverymca.org.
The YMCA of Rock River Valley is a leading nonprofit committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. The Y serves 35,000 people through seven area branches and is one of the largest nonprofit employers in the greater Rockford area, with more than 600 full- and part-time staff.
Posted March 27, 2014