- Tech-Friendly: Get the LG G Flex 2 and other big smartphones at U.S. Cellular
- State Roundup: Unfunded pension liability greater impact than fluctuating revenue
- ‘Death tax’ rhetoric doesn’t address the facts
- ‘We’re back': second ‘Star Wars’ teaser drops
- Sunday Service: Legalizing competition in Illinois’ auto industry
- Cullerton: Don’t bet on right-to-work zones
- State Roundup: Rauner continues “Turnaround” pitch
- Open Government: Improved FOIA laws crucial
- Legislators ask Rauner to pony up pension details
- Rockford Art Deli providing homegrown artists a place to flourish
Rockford Speedway: Chicagoland legend, Hall of Famer Tom Jones to race at Spring Classic
By Eric Huenefeld
Director of Media and Sales, Rockford Speedway
LOVES PARK, Ill. — Tibor Machine Illinois Vintage Racing Series President Art Fehrman announced this week that Chicagoland racing legend Tom Jones will compete in the “Illinois Stock Car Hall of Fame Race” Sunday, April 13, as part of the 37th Annual Spring Classic at Rockford Speedway, 9572 Forest Hills Road, Loves Park, Ill.
The Northbrook, Ill., native comes out of retirement to replace driver Pat Heaney, who is recovering from extensive shoulder surgery. Jones plans to pilot Heaney’s 1967 Chevelle in the “Hall of Fame Race” at Rockford, a track he frequented early in his career. Jones last raced competitively at the Lake Geneva Raceway in October 2006.
Jones, along with Whitey Gerken, Bryant Tucker, Frank Shickel, Howard Tiedt, Bill Koenig and Elmer Steinbeck will be inducted into the Illinois Stock Car Hall of Fame’s “Class of 2014” Saturday night, April 12, at the Holiday Inn on East State Street in Rockford. Earlier that day, several vintage racing machines will be on display at Historic Auto Attractions and the Illinois Stock Car Hall of Fame Museum in Roscoe, Ill., from 1 to 4 p.m.
Anyone interested in attending the 2014 Illinois Stock Car Hall of Fame Induction Dinner and Ceremony at Holiday Inn in Rockford should contact Fehrman at (708) 254-5196. The deadline to buy tickets is Tuesday, April 1. No tickets will be sold at the door. The reception at Historic Auto Attractions in Roscoe Saturday afternoon is open to the public.
The 37th Annual Spring Classic takes place Sunday afternoon, April 13, at Rockford Speedway. The Big 8 Late Model Series presented by Gandrud Chevrolet kicks off its 10th anniversary season at Spring Classic and will be joined by the Mid American Stock Car Series and the Tibor Machine Illinois Vintage Series.
For more about Spring Classic, contact Rockford Speedway at (815) 633-1500 or visit www.rockfordspeedway.com.
Posted March 28, 2014