- Man pleads guilty but mentally ill in 2013 murder
- Telephone, computer network outages at 22 Rockford schools
- Byron native selected as Sailor of the Year for Navy Band Southwest
- Illinois Tollway awards $337 million in contracts, sets budget
- 44 earn bachelor’s degrees at Saint Anthony College of Nursing
- Goodwill opens Donation Express site on Perryville
- Rock Valley College to manage TechWorks program
- University of Illinois at Chicago names chancellor
- Salvation Army to distribute food, toys to nearly 2,000 families
- American Manufacturing Competitiveness Act signed into law
Two arrested on drug charges following traffic stop, search of residence on 21st Street
Online Staff Report
On the afternoon of Thursday April 3, members of the Winnebago County Sheriff’s Police Metro Narcotic Unit and sheriff’s detectives arrested Cresencio Valencia-Alvarez, 36.
Valencia-Alvarez was arrested after a vehicle he was driving was stopped and more than 20 pounds of marijuana was recovered from the vehicle. A search warrant was then executed at his residence (1203 21st St.), and in excess of 150 pounds of marijuana and 332 grams of methamphetamine and a handgun were recovered.
Valencia-Alvarez has been charged with the following:
• Violation of the Cannabis Control Act (possession of more than 5,000 grams with intent to deliver);
• Violation of the Controlled Substance Act (possession of 100-400 grams of methamphetamine with intent to deliver;
• No Firearm Owner’s Identification card; and
• Resisting police.
A person at the residence when the warrant was executed was in possession of a small amount of cocaine. He is Luis Alberto Aguilar-Arreguin, 28.
Aguilar-Arreguin is charged with violation of the Controlled Substance Act (possession of less than 15 grams of cocaine).
Both men are being held in the Winnebago County Jail.
Posted April 4, 2014