UPDATE: Two die in fire at abandoned house on Knowlton
Update: The Winnebago County Coroner’s Office has released the names of the two men who died in the fire.
Timothy W. Porter, 59, was pronounced dead at the scene at 1:15 a.m., Monday, April 7. An autopsy was performed April 7 that revealed he died as a result of smoke inhalation. Toxicology tests will be available in approximately two weeks. The Coroner’s Office has been unable to locate any of his family. Porter is considered a homeless person. Anyone with information about the whereabouts of Porter’s family is asked to call the Coroner’s Office at (815) 319-4970.
The name of the second victim is David R. Caperson, 47. He was pronounced dead on the scene at 1:45 a.m., Monday, April 7. An autopsy was performed that revealed he died as a result of smoke inhalation. Toxicology tests will be available in approximately two weeks. Caperson was also considered homeless.
Online Staff Report
Two men were killed in a fire at a vacant building at 424 Knowlton St. in Rockford shortly after midnight Monday, April 7.
Rockford Fire Department responded to the Knowlton address on the report of a structure fire. Upon arrival, firefighters reported heavy smoke and fire at the two-story house.
Shortly after their arrival, firefighters were met by a homeless person who said he was sleeping in the building when the fire started. He said two others were still inside.
Fire crews put out enough fire to briefly enter the structure to locate anyone who might have still been in the building. Firefighters immediately found a 47-year-old deceased male on the second floor. A second deceased male was located a short while later. The second male is believed have been about 60 years old.
The homeless man who escaped the blaze was transported to a local hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation.
Rockford Fire Department investigators are conducting an investigation along with Rockford police. No firefighters were injured, and the house — at a value of $20,000 — is a total loss.
Cause of the fire has yet to be determined.
Posted April 7, 2014