- BGA sues Chicago Police Department over transparency
- Clean water groups highlight progress for Apple River, call for more success stories
- Lincoln associates found in recently discovered 1840 Menard County census
- BIFF Year ’Round presents the documentary ‘Slingshot’ Oct. 29
- Rockford’s Discovery Center presents ‘Spooky Science’ Oct. 25
- Academic Dr. Duke Pesta speaks against Common Core, part 2
- Rockford Record Crawl 2014 celebrates music, indie retailers
- Early voting continues after ballot error corrected
- Caruana outpacing Springer in money race for sheriff
- Week 8 NFL picks: Lions, Packers will continue to share NFC North lead
Colours of Beauty Salon owner welcomes new customers
Thinking of a new look for spring? You might want to check out the Colours of Beauty Salon, 6413 E. Riverside Blvd., Rockford. Owner Joiya Cyrus has owned the business since April 2013, and she employs seven people there. She gave The Rock River Times an exclusive interview.
TRRT: What services do you offer?
Joiya Cyrus: “We do an array of hair services, and we also do ear candling, color cuts, relaxers, perms, keratin treatments. We have a diverse clientele. We also have manicures and pedicures. We do facial waxing and underarms.”
TRRT: What are the hours of operation?
JC: “We are usually open Tuesday through Saturday. The hours vary. Most of the time, we are open by 10 a.m. because we go by appointment basis. It’s usually 10 to 6 [weekdays]. Saturdays, it’s usually 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.”
TRRT: What special challenges have you faced in the business? Any special problems or advantages in the location?
JC: “The biggest challenge is basically getting people to give me a chance because I am an African-American salon operator, the only one on East Riverside. It’s right next door to Cookies by Design. Being young and African-American and trying to get people to give us a chance. It’s kind of getting something that just fell in my lap and putting it together. We opened as Colours of Beauty in April 2013, but I had worked there previously for four years before I took over.
“We’re having an Open House the last Saturday in April, the 26th, from noon to 3 p.m. Several surrounding businesses will come in and do advertising. We will have gift certificates, and products will be 50 percent off. We have a lot of seasoned stylists that have been in the business for 10-plus years, and one who has been in the business for 40. Her name is Cindy McAlister, and we love her. We are diverse at many levels. All of us, except two people, worked for the previous business. We are still looking for stylists and nail techs.”
Cyrus said she had previously worked at Chrysler before changing careers. She moved here from Indiana in 2006 for job security. “In 2007, I had almost finished beauty school,” she said, “but they would not transfer my hours, so I went back to school again while working at Chrysler. After I finished that, I took a buy-out. I had been at Chrysler for 10 years.”
You can make an appointment by calling (815) 636-1000.
From the April 9-15, 2014 issue