- BGA sues Chicago Police Department over transparency
- Clean water groups highlight progress for Apple River, call for more success stories
- Lincoln associates found in recently discovered 1840 Menard County census
- BIFF Year ’Round presents the documentary ‘Slingshot’ Oct. 29
- Rockford’s Discovery Center presents ‘Spooky Science’ Oct. 25
- Academic Dr. Duke Pesta speaks against Common Core, part 2
- Rockford Record Crawl 2014 celebrates music, indie retailers
- Early voting continues after ballot error corrected
- Caruana outpacing Springer in money race for sheriff
- Week 8 NFL picks: Lions, Packers will continue to share NFC North lead
April 14 Lee County Genealogical Society meeting focuses on World War II investigation
Online Staff Report
DIXON, Ill. — The Lee County Genealogical Society (LCGS) will hold its monthly meeting at 7 p.m., Monday, April 14, in the dining room of the Loveland Community House and Museum in Dixon, Ill. This month’s program will be presented by Jed Henry from Madison, Wis.
The speaker is a special friend of LCGS President Pat Gorman. Henry is an independent videographer/filmmaker who started a project to honor his grandfather’s memory and those who served with him in the 3rd Armored Division during World War II. The project soon morphed into a complete investigation of an incident on Aug. 13, 1944. The project resulted in an exhumation of a World War II soldier, PFC Lawrence Gordon, DNA testing and the identification of a soldier previously thought unidentifiable by the U.S. This is a riveting story of how a team of individuals can overcome the obstacles put forth by time, faulty investigations and lack of cooperation from the U.S. accounting community.
Refreshments will be served, and there is no fee. The dining room is handicapped accessible, and there will be staff in the lobby to direct you.
For more information, call The Family Tree Center at (815) 288-6702, stop by the office at 111 S. Hennepin Ave., Dixon, Ill., or e-mail Leecountygenealogicalsociety@gmail.com.
Posted April 9, 2014