- 20th Annual Honor the Mounds set for Saturday
- Cubs offense returns in sweep of Milwaukee
- TRRT Online Edition | Aug. 5-11
- NWS: Thunderstorms expected Sunday night
- McKellen’s Mr. Holmes a satisfactory conclusion
- Rockford visitor spending jumps
- The misguided Cecil the lion debate
- State, union extend contract again
- Willow Creek left in the dust by development
- CUB helps residents find best deal
Aspiring Artists Student Exhibition opens at Freeport Art Museum
Online Staff Report
FREEPORT, Ill. — Artwork by students from Freeport and surrounding communities will be on display during the annual Aspiring Artists Student Exhibition, opening Friday, April 18, and running though May17 at the Freeport Art Museum.
The exhibition features a variety of art, including paintings, drawings and sculpture by hundreds of students, representing Freeport, Durand, Dakota, West Carroll, Pearl City, Scales Mound, Orangeville and Freeport.
“This show reminds us of the abundance of creativity and ability our students have and demonstrates the commitment of area educators in bringing out the best in our young artists,” said museum Education Director Barry Treu.
The opening reception will be from 5 to 7 p.m., Friday, April 18. During the reception, awards will be announced for first, second and third place for elementary, middle and high school students. This year, a special award will be given for artwork displaying the most creative use of recycled material.
Freeport Art Museum is at 121 N. Harlem Ave., Freeport, Ill., and is open 10 a.m.-5 p.m., Tuesday-Friday, and noon-5 p.m., Saturday. Tours may be scheduled by calling (815) 235-9755. Admission to the museum is free, although donations are accepted.
Posted April 16, 2014