- Man gets natural life in prison for September 2011 murder
- Meet John Doe: Remember the crew of the space shuttle ‘Challenger’
- Tech-Friendly: Update your Adobe Flash Player today
- Tales from the Trough: Rockford skates into all-star break on high note
- Literary Hook: A poem for February
- Hospitals lift visitor age restrictions as number of flu cases decreases
- Winnebago County sheriff names chief deputy
- URGENT: Four votes and we could lose on Keystone
- Guest Column: Housing Authority CEO: Time to unify behind quality living
- Rockford police investigate 17th Street murder
Aspiring Artists Student Exhibition opens at Freeport Art Museum
Online Staff Report
FREEPORT, Ill. — Artwork by students from Freeport and surrounding communities will be on display during the annual Aspiring Artists Student Exhibition, opening Friday, April 18, and running though May17 at the Freeport Art Museum.
The exhibition features a variety of art, including paintings, drawings and sculpture by hundreds of students, representing Freeport, Durand, Dakota, West Carroll, Pearl City, Scales Mound, Orangeville and Freeport.
“This show reminds us of the abundance of creativity and ability our students have and demonstrates the commitment of area educators in bringing out the best in our young artists,” said museum Education Director Barry Treu.
The opening reception will be from 5 to 7 p.m., Friday, April 18. During the reception, awards will be announced for first, second and third place for elementary, middle and high school students. This year, a special award will be given for artwork displaying the most creative use of recycled material.
Freeport Art Museum is at 121 N. Harlem Ave., Freeport, Ill., and is open 10 a.m.-5 p.m., Tuesday-Friday, and noon-5 p.m., Saturday. Tours may be scheduled by calling (815) 235-9755. Admission to the museum is free, although donations are accepted.
Posted April 16, 2014