- Man sentenced to 12 years in fatal hit-and-run
- White House fence jumper charged with kicking Secret Service dogs
- Man arrested on child pornography charges
- Woman hit with liquor bottle during home invasion
- Police arrest robbery suspect
- Rockford area trick-or-treat times
- The Odds Man: Three road dogs good bets in NFL Week 8
- IceHogs nipped in third period, return home Saturday
- BGA sues Chicago Police Department over transparency
- Clean water groups highlight progress for Apple River, call for more success stories
Aspiring Artists Student Exhibition opens at Freeport Art Museum
Online Staff Report
FREEPORT, Ill. — Artwork by students from Freeport and surrounding communities will be on display during the annual Aspiring Artists Student Exhibition, opening Friday, April 18, and running though May17 at the Freeport Art Museum.
The exhibition features a variety of art, including paintings, drawings and sculpture by hundreds of students, representing Freeport, Durand, Dakota, West Carroll, Pearl City, Scales Mound, Orangeville and Freeport.
“This show reminds us of the abundance of creativity and ability our students have and demonstrates the commitment of area educators in bringing out the best in our young artists,” said museum Education Director Barry Treu.
The opening reception will be from 5 to 7 p.m., Friday, April 18. During the reception, awards will be announced for first, second and third place for elementary, middle and high school students. This year, a special award will be given for artwork displaying the most creative use of recycled material.
Freeport Art Museum is at 121 N. Harlem Ave., Freeport, Ill., and is open 10 a.m.-5 p.m., Tuesday-Friday, and noon-5 p.m., Saturday. Tours may be scheduled by calling (815) 235-9755. Admission to the museum is free, although donations are accepted.
Posted April 16, 2014