- Facebook’s Instant Articles not a threat to media
- U of I expert: Rauner’s pension fix ‘unconstitutional’
- State Senate approves lesser penalties for marijuana possession
- State Roundup: Natural gas vehicle tax stalls in committee
- Raptors, Rangers FC announce June camp
- Student debt 101: dearth of data fuels common misperceptions
- ‘Millionaire tax’ clears House panel
- Memorial Day events at Midway’s LZ Peace Memorial
- Wallace calls for Rockford crime task force
- How we discovered the 3 revolutions of American pop
Aspiring Artists Student Exhibition opens at Freeport Art Museum
Online Staff Report
FREEPORT, Ill. — Artwork by students from Freeport and surrounding communities will be on display during the annual Aspiring Artists Student Exhibition, opening Friday, April 18, and running though May17 at the Freeport Art Museum.
The exhibition features a variety of art, including paintings, drawings and sculpture by hundreds of students, representing Freeport, Durand, Dakota, West Carroll, Pearl City, Scales Mound, Orangeville and Freeport.
“This show reminds us of the abundance of creativity and ability our students have and demonstrates the commitment of area educators in bringing out the best in our young artists,” said museum Education Director Barry Treu.
The opening reception will be from 5 to 7 p.m., Friday, April 18. During the reception, awards will be announced for first, second and third place for elementary, middle and high school students. This year, a special award will be given for artwork displaying the most creative use of recycled material.
Freeport Art Museum is at 121 N. Harlem Ave., Freeport, Ill., and is open 10 a.m.-5 p.m., Tuesday-Friday, and noon-5 p.m., Saturday. Tours may be scheduled by calling (815) 235-9755. Admission to the museum is free, although donations are accepted.
Posted April 16, 2014