- Hospitals lift visitor age restrictions as number of flu cases decreases
- Winnebago County sheriff names chief deputy
- URGENT: Four votes and we could lose on Keystone
- Guest Column: Housing Authority CEO: Time to unify behind quality living
- Rockford police investigate 17th Street murder
- Clean water under attack in the U.S. Congress
- Man faces charges following attempted armed robbery
- Discovery Center experiences record public attendance
- Pet Talk: Probiotics for your pets
- Illinois home prices climb 3.7 percent in December
Literary Hook: Poem captures the moment of preparation
By Christine Swanberg
Author and Poet
by Linda Melville
the quiet place
deep secret space
where images merge as they emerge
where lacy words first warble and then recede
where newborn thoughts braid among the ancients.
toward the ephemeral destination
and on arrival
receive the words that await you.
Linda Melville grew up on the southwest side of Chicago and came to Rockford as a student teacher at Carlson Elementary, where she taught for the next 39 years.
Writing has always been an important part of her personal and professional life, whether practicing the craft or sharing her passion with her students.
Christine Swanberg is a local author and poet. She received the Lawrence E. Gloyd Community Impact Award at the 2012 Rockford Area Arts Council State of the Arts Awards.
Posted April 16, 2014