- Nov. 4 General Election Endorsements: Retain County Clerk Margie Mullins
- Nov. 4 General Election Endorsements: Re-elect Jesse White
- Nov. 4 General Election Endorsements: Elect Sheila Simons as state comptroller
- Brad Roos to step down as Zion Development executive director
- Smash your pumpkin at Rockford’s Discovery Center Nov. 2
- Control the candy without limiting the Halloween fun
- RHS Ambassadors host Halloween party for hospitalized children
- Beware of the energy-sucking vampires in your home, ComEd warns
- Rockford Park District golf season begins to wrap up
- Two locals to be honored among state’s top college students
Oceania Tile Mural to be unveiled at Thurgood Marshall School April 17
Online Staff Report
Thursday, April 17, Thurgood Marshall School will be unveiling one of the most significant and amazing community art installations in Rockford in decades.
The Oceania Tile Mural, a 2,200-plus tile mosaic in the Marshall foyer, is based on cutting-edge art/science integration. The intense year-long project was made possible because of the hundreds of students at Marshall; staff; family; friends; and because of the passion of three artists — Lisa Normoyle, David Stocker and Drew Helge.
The leverage and sponsorship gained from the Illinois Arts Council Agency grant award for this project was also crucial in making Oceania a reality, as was the Community Foundation of Northern Illinois’ Blanche Martin Fund and the support of the Marshall PTO and staff.
The mural is emblematic of what is possible through the arts under the best of circumstances, and has surpassed the school’s wildest dreams.
Organizers report this project was a wonderful experience for the students of Marshall, which made and painted tiles, and will enrich the fine arts at Marshall for years.
A dedication by Rockford Public Schools Superintendent Dr. Ehren Jarrett is set for 1:30 p.m., Thursday, April 17. Monetary donations are being accepted in the Marshall office to offset the cost of this project.
Posted April 16, 2014