- Man pleads guilty but mentally ill in 2013 murder
- Telephone, computer network outages at 22 Rockford schools
- Byron native selected as Sailor of the Year for Navy Band Southwest
- Illinois Tollway awards $337 million in contracts, sets budget
- 44 earn bachelor’s degrees at Saint Anthony College of Nursing
- Goodwill opens Donation Express site on Perryville
- Rock Valley College to manage TechWorks program
- University of Illinois at Chicago names chancellor
- Salvation Army to distribute food, toys to nearly 2,000 families
- American Manufacturing Competitiveness Act signed into law
Rockford Marathon returns as half marathon, 10K run May 25
Online Staff Report
Organizers of the annual Rockford Marathon, who this past October announced the event would go on hiatus in 2014 because of dwindling sponsor support, have announced a slightly modified version will be held Sunday, May 25, over Memorial Day weekend.
In 2014, it will be the Rockford Half Marathon & 10K Run. It will be a 13.1-mile half marathon and a 10K run along the Rock River. But, there will be no full 26.2-mile full marathon in 2014.
Weighing in the decision to scale back was that fact that, in 2013, nearly 80 percent of the 1,200 runners participated in the half marathon and 10K. (The half marathon had 661 participants while the 10K run — first introduced in 2012 — had 271 participants.)
Start time for the 2014 Rockford Half Marathon & 10K is 7 a.m. Start/finish location is Main and Chestnut in downtown Rockford.
Registration is now open at www.rockfordhalfmarathon.com. Through April 20, “Early Bird” registration for the half marathon is $55 and registration for the 10K is $35.
In making the announcement, organizers cited widespread community support for the event.
“After our October announcement, there has been a groundswell of local support, including from the Rockford Road Runner [local running group], to continue the event,” said Hank Zemola, founder and CEO of Special Events Management, which organizes and produces the event.
Rockford Health System and SwedishAmerican Health System’s recently-opened BetterLife Wellness medical wellness center have both stepped up to provide sponsorship support.
After a hiatus of several years, the Rockford Marathon was re-launched in 2008. The event is celebrating its seventh year in 2014.
In 2013, the marathon/half marathon/10K run attracted participants from more than 20 states.
Again this year, a portion of event proceeds will benefit the Northern Illinois Food Bank.
Posted April 16, 2014