- Woman, two teens arrested following narcotics investigation
- Former county officials charged with theft
- New Zion Baptist participates in National Back to Church Sunday Sept. 21
- Donors celebrate new school health center
- Debris cleanup underway near Fordham Dam
- Some good, some bad in Obama executive order on protecting antibiotics
- Two arrested on cannabis charges after search of detached garage on North Henrietta
- Man guilty of drug charges faces 60 years in prison
- Rockford BBB aware of ‘Microsoft’ phone scam
- Judge: Chad Grimm will remain on Illinois governor ballot
Rockford photographer’s portait of Dalai Lama chosen for book cover
By Nels Akerlund Photography + Video
We had the extreme pleasure of photographing this portrait of His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama, and it was chosen for the newly-released paperback version of his book, The Middle Way: Faith Grounded in Reason. We couldn’t be more excited, and consider this one of our greatest honors.
Prior to the shoot, we had spent hours back at our studio planning the portrait, and an hour setting up on-location once the day arrived. Minutes before the scheduled shoot time, we were informed that the portrait location had changed, and were left scrambling to gather up and move all our gear to the new spot: a garage.
Needless to say, all those hours of planning paid off, as we were able to re-setup in just enough time to capture the cover image among the chaos. (In the photo below right, you can see our red velvet backdrop behind the monks, in the garage.)
Equally as thrilling, we were able to have our photo taken with such a great man.
From the April 23-29, 2014 issue