- Commentary: Walker’s budget calls for schools to stop reporting sexual assaults
- Wallace hopes for redevelopment expansion
- Teravainen makes instant impact on return to ‘Hawks
- Oregon mayor reacts to Exelon talk of closing nuclear plant
- GiGi’s benefit for Down syndrome, March 21
- What’s the future hold for Rose?
- ‘Hogs keep pace in tight Midwest
- Qatar continues to confound
- Meet John Doe: Keep public notices in print
- Commentary: Rauner’s minimum wage plan just more of the same from GOP
Citizens’ Police Academy begins April 30
Online Staff Report
The Rockford Police Department will launch its next Citizens’ Police Academy Wednesday, April 30. The program will run each Wednesday, from 6 to 8 p.m., through Wednesday, June 18, at the Public Safety Building, 420 W. State St.
Since 2009, the Rockford Police Department has been engaging the community by offering a Citizens’ Police Academy. The mission of the Citizens’ Police Academy is to build cooperative relationships between citizens and the police through training and education.
The police academy produces a network of informed citizens who can return to their neighborhoods to organize, encourage and mobilize others, to partner with police in reducing crime in Rockford.
The success of the Citizens’ Police Academy has led to the formation of the Citizens’ Assisting Police (CAP) volunteer program in 2010, and has contributed to more than 9,000 hours of volunteer service to the Rockford Police Department.
Volunteers can be an important part of any organization and are proven to be a valuable asset to law enforcement agencies. Volunteers help to increase police responsiveness, service delivery, and information input, and they provide new program opportunities. In addition, volunteers can bring new skills and expertise to the job and prompt new enthusiasm.
The Rockford Police Department has trained more than 200 citizens since 2009 and has 32 active police volunteers.
For information about becoming involved in either program, contact Rockford Police Sgt. Carla Redd at (815) 987-5041.
Posted April 23, 2014