Comcast Cares Day features local events Sunday, April 26
Online Staff Report
Comcast Cares Day, one of the largest corporate volunteer initiatives in the nation, will be held Saturday, April 26.
This year, on its 13th anniversary, Comcast anticipates that more than 7,000 regional employees from Illinois, northwest Indiana and southwest Michigan and their families, friends and community partners will participate in more than 80 volunteer projects in locations ranging from Quincy, Ill., to South Bend, Ind.; from Decatur to Rockford, Ill.; and all across the Chicago area.
Comcast’s Greater Chicago Region Senior Vice President John Crowley said: “Comcast Cares Day makes a major difference in the lives of people in the communities we serve. We invite area residents who want to help and inspire others through volunteerism to participate in a Comcast Cares Day project in their community.”
Crowley added that area residents can find Comcast Cares Day projects near them and sign up to volunteer at www.comcastinthecommunity.com (see local events below).
Comcast expects that more than 80,000 Comcast, NBCUniversal and community volunteers will participate in more than 700 projects across the country and around the globe on Comcast Cares Day. Since Comcast Cares Day began in 2001, more than a half million volunteers have contributed more than 3 million volunteer hours.
Brandon T. Bodor, executive director of the Serve Illinois Commission, which provides information about ongoing volunteer opportunities, noted: “Volunteerism is a game-changer, and it directly correlates to healthier, more resilient communities. In Illinois and across the Midwest, volunteerism is a part of our culture. Serve Illinois is proud that Comcast reinforces that year after year through Comcast Cares Day.”
Local events on Comcast Cares Day April 26
• Carlson Boys & Girls Club, 1030 Evans Ave., Machesney Park, Ill. — Clean up to prepare the park for the baseball season.
• Carpenter’s Place Apartment Building outside spruce-up — 2114 Douglas St., Rockford. Includes painting (outside of building and garage), yard clean-up/landscaping.
• Northern Illinois Food Bank, 6315 N. Second St., Loves Park, Ill. — Sort and pack canned food.
• Stephenson County Railroad Museum, 2954 S. Walnut Road, Freeport, Ill. — Painting (inside and out), outside clean-up/landscaping.
• Washington Park, 3617 Delaware, Rockford— Outdoor clean-up, weeding, mulch the playground and children’s craft project.
On Comcast Cares Day, Comcast employees, their families and friends are invited to work alongside volunteers at the Carlson Boys & Girls Club, Carpenter’s Place Apartment Building, Northern Illinois Food Bank, Stephenson County Railway Museum and Washington Park.
T-shirts and lunch will be provided.
Posted April 23, 2014