- Man sentenced to 12 years in fatal hit-and-run
- White House fence jumper charged with kicking Secret Service dogs
- Man arrested on child pornography charges
- Woman hit with liquor bottle during home invasion
- Police arrest robbery suspect
- Rockford area trick-or-treat times
- The Odds Man: Three road dogs good bets in NFL Week 8
- IceHogs nipped in third period, return home Saturday
- BGA sues Chicago Police Department over transparency
- Clean water groups highlight progress for Apple River, call for more success stories
Consult a lawyer — at no cost — Saturday, April 26, during Ask-a-Lawyer Day
Online Staff Report
SPRINGFIELD, Ill. — Anyone in Illinois with a question about a legal matter can consult a lawyer — at no cost — during the 33rd Annual Ask-a-Lawyer Day, from 9 a.m. to noon, Saturday, April 26. The event is sponsored by the Illinois State Bar Association (ISBA) in cooperation with bar associations in Cook, DuPage, Lake and Will counties.
Volunteer lawyers will be standing by to provide general information about consumer problems, family law, estate planning, personal injury and other common legal issues. Callers will be given information about their legal difficulties, which may include consulting with another lawyer on the caller’s specific legal situation.
In addition to two toll-free numbers, the public can e-mail their questions or discuss their legal problem with a lawyer using Skype. They can also contact participating bar associations at their respective phone numbers.
Call the ISBA toll-free 800-252-8908 or 800-678-4009
E-mail your legal question to firstname.lastname@example.org; questions will be answered on Saturday morning, April 26
Skype-a-lawyer at isbalaw1
Chicago Bar Association — 312-554-2001 (phone lines open until 2 p.m.)
DuPage County Bar Association — 630-653-7779
Lake County Bar Association — 847-244-3143
Will County Bar Association — 815-436-6000
Each of the participating bar associations operates a lawyer referral service for people who need legal services. Lawyers contacted through a referral service provide an initial consultation at a nominal cost.
The 32,000-member ISBA (isba.org), with offices in Springfield and Chicago, provides professional services to Illinois lawyers, and education and services to the public through a website (illinoislawyerfinder.com), consumer brochures, and distribution of legal information.
Posted April 23, 2014