- Man sentenced to 12 years in fatal hit-and-run
- White House fence jumper charged with kicking Secret Service dogs
- Man arrested on child pornography charges
- Woman hit with liquor bottle during home invasion
- Police arrest robbery suspect
- Rockford area trick-or-treat times
- The Odds Man: Three road dogs good bets in NFL Week 8
- IceHogs nipped in third period, return home Saturday
- BGA sues Chicago Police Department over transparency
- Clean water groups highlight progress for Apple River, call for more success stories
Freeport’s Lindo Theatre to screen ‘Hollywood Canteen’ April 30
Online Staff Report
FREEPORT, Ill. — The Lindo Theatre in Freeport, Ill., concludes its “Hollywood and World War II” Film Series with the patriotic film Hollywood Canteen (1943). This fun and witty tribute to the troops will be shown at 1 and 7 p.m., Wednesday, April 30, at the Lindo Theatre, 115 S. Chicago Ave., in downtown Freeport.
General admission to Hollywood Canteen is $5 per person, but patrons who purchased the entire “Hollywood and World War II” Film Series can attend this special bonus show free of charge. Tickets are available in advance at the Lindo Theatre Box Office or online at www.classiccinemas.com.
The “Hollywood and World War II” Film Series is co-sponsored by the Highland Community College and Stephenson County Museum.
A true tribute to the heroes of World War II, Hollywood Canteen is the patriotic cinematic celebration of what happens when big movie stars get together to support their troops and allied forces. The film follows two servicemen who spend three nights at the Canteen in Hollywood, Calif., before returning to active duty. Hopeful encounters with some of Hollywood’s most gorgeous leading ladies and lively performances from Warner Brothers stars ensue. The movie stars the Andrews Sisters, Jack Benny, Bette Davis and Joan Crawford.
After the film, guests are invited to participate in a group discussion with Freeport Historical Museum’s Executive Director Dr. Ed Finch along with Highland Community College/Speech and Communications Instructor Alan Wenzel.
Posted April 23, 2014