- Dog and cat adoption event at Children’s Home + Aid Oct. 20
- Arrest warrant issued in string of burglaries
- The Odds Man: Bills, Seahawks good bets in NFL Week 7
- SwedishAmerican to build new clinic in Byron
- Chrysler recall affects 907k vehicles
- 7-year-old struck by car near Walker School
- Final City Market of the season Friday, Oct. 17
- Lee Hamilton: Viewing political corruption more broadly
- Rehearsals begin Oct. 19 for 69th presentation of Handel’s ‘Messiah’
- Amenti Haunted House opens Oct. 17 at DeKalb’s Egyptian Theatre
Rockford school board OKs East High School fieldhouse addition
Online Staff Report
The Rockford School Board Tuesday, April 22, agreed to hire Vissering Construction Company to build a 63,000 square-foot fieldhouse addition at East High School. The board will pay $13.6 million for the project, which is expected to break ground in May. Completion is expected in May 2015.
The addition includes a 160-meter track and three basketball courts, a multipurpose room and weightroom.
School upgrades include a cafeteria addition, four-floor elevator to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act, relocation of the school’s main office, a secure front entryway and new parking lot.
The invitation for bid included several alternates, including the Workforce Development Program, or pilot job shadow program that offers paid internships so potential tradesmen and tradeswomen can learn about the construction industry. The goal is to grow long-term employment in Rockford’s construction industry.
The impact of the small-scale program will be evaluated after this construction season.
The firms and their base bids are as follows:
- Vissering Construction Company: $13,250,000, Project total with approved alternates: $13,568,000;
- Stenstrom General Contractor: $13,640,000, Project total with approved alternates: $13,916,000;
- Ringland-Johnson Construction: $13,675,000, Project total with approved alternates: $13,949,200;
- IHC Construction: $14,599,000, Project total with approved alternates: $15,027,316;
- EVS Construction Company: $14,280,000, Project total with approved alternates: $14,630,000;
- Cord Construction: $15,275,000, Project total with approved alternates: $15,621,560;
The approved alternates include: library demolition, tunnel foundation repair, exterior work on the school’s courtyard plaza, and the Workforce Development Program.
The board also approved paving upgrades at Auburn, Guilford and Jefferson high schools to include improving parking lots, entrance roadways, sidewalks, drainage areas and site lighting. The contract also outlines stadium improvement work at ticket booths and entrance areas at Guilford and Auburn.