- Clean water under attack in the U.S. Congress
- Man faces charges following attempted armed robbery
- Discovery Center experiences record public attendance
- Pet Talk: Probiotics for your pets
- Illinois home prices climb 3.7 percent in December
- Supreme Court and gay marriage — U of I expert weighs in
- More than 6,100 residents of Winnebago County enrolled in Marketplace
- First large U.S. delegation to visit Cuba since opening of relations
- Merger complete for Illinois Bank & Trust, Galena State Bank
- Crusader welcomes Dr. Maria Lozano Vazquez
The Arc executive director to retire
The Arc of Winnebago, Boone and Ogle Counties has announced the retirement of Executive Director Jacki Neil Boss.
Neil Boss has been The Arc’s executive director for more than 10 years. She has seen the agency through many challenges. During her tenure, the organization survived drastic budget cuts in state funding for human services. Fund-raising income increased thanks to community support for The Chocoholic Frolic, The Great Home Giveaway and The Great Dream Machine. Most importantly, more people are being served than ever before.
Neil Boss was first employed at The Arc as a family support coordinator. She helped many families with what can be a daunting process, raising a child with intellectual and developmental disabilities. Her passion comes from personal experience with her oldest son, Alex, who has multiple diagnoses.
“I feel so blessed to be able to help families, as my family was helped by those who came before me,” she said. “The Arc began as — and still is — a grassroots organization advocating for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities and their families. The energy of the next generation ensures The Arc continues to fulfill its mission.”
Jacki and her husband John will be enjoying their retirement years traveling, seeing the country in their RV. She also looks forward to having her summers available to visit her youngest son and his family in South Africa, where she and her husband met. Jacki is also active with her therapy dog and is interested in branching out to new areas with Honey Bear where she feels called.
The public is invited to a retirement open house from 3 to 6 p.m., Tuesday, April 29, at The Arc, 1222 E. State St., Rockford.
From the April 23-29, 2014