- ‘Death tax’ rhetoric doesn’t address the facts
- ‘We’re back': second ‘Star Wars’ teaser drops
- Sunday Service: Legalizing competition in Illinois’ auto industry
- Cullerton: Don’t bet on right-to-work zones
- State Roundup: Rauner continues “Turnaround” pitch
- Open Government: Improved FOIA laws crucial
- Legislators ask Rauner to pony up pension details
- Rockford Art Deli providing homegrown artists a place to flourish
- Talcott acquisition continues west side trend
- Record Store Day brings vinyl back into the limelight
Aviators sign former Louisville Slugger All-American Joey Wagman
Online Staff Report
LOVES PARK, Ill. — The Rockford Aviators have announced the signing of former Louisville Slugger All-American Joey Wagman, a right-handed pitcher from Cal Poly University.
A First-team All-Big West selection as a junior, Wagman continued to thrive as a senior as he set a school record for wins after posting a 13-3 record. He also posted a 2.96 ERA en route to a second-place finish in the Big West Conference and a berth in the NCAA Regionals.
“Joey had an outstanding ERA at Cal Poly,” said Aviators Manager James Frisbie. “He spent his first two seasons coming out of the bullpen at Cal Poly, but really proved himself as a starter in his final two seasons.”
Wagman was drafted in the 17th round of the 2013 June Amateur Draft by the Chicago White Sox organization and spent the summer of 2013 pitching for the Great Falls Voyagers of the Pioneer League.
In one season with the Voyagers, Wagman appeared in 16 games and posted a 1-0 record with a 3.57 ERA and saved two games.
“The White Sox used him as a middle relief guy, but he’s more of a starter, and that’s where we will look to use him,” said Frisbie.
Wagman will see a familiar face when he shows up to camp May 1 as he will be reunited with former Cal Poly teammate Kyle Brueggemann, who will be entering his second season with the Rockford Aviators.
The Aviators will open the 2014 season Friday, May 16, at home against the River City Rascals at 7:05 p.m. Season ticket packages and advertising information is available by calling (815) 885-2255.
Posted April 24, 2014