- Obamacare: All eyes on high court
- Dems, Rauner spar over deficit solution; Senate Democrats poised to pass own version
- Minnie Minoso: Dead at 90, unbeaten
- Bring back legislative scholarships? Proposal faces serious questions from both sides
- First Friday opening for Olive Oil Experience
- RAM announce 74th Young Artist winners
- Texas Two-step: ‘Hogs sweep weekend, return home
- More highlights from the Chicago Auto Show
- Industry response to peak oil not enough long term
- TRRT March 4-10 | Online Edition
City receives grant for demolition of abandoned properties
Online Staff Report
The City of Rockford has received a $250,000 grant to be used for the demolition of approximately 30 properties within the next year.
The grant was awarded by the Illinois Housing Development Authority Board through its Abandoned Residential Property Municipality Relief Program, and the city’s demolition efforts will begin once grant agreements are executed and eligible properties are identified.
The Rockford program will be targeted primarily on properties on the fast-track demolition list that meet the definition of “abandoned” by the grant. Abandoned residential property must be unoccupied and contain an incomplete structure, be zoned residential and be in need of maintenance, repair or securing.
This grant was highly competitive. Rockford is one of 53 municipalities and counties named that will receive the funds.
The City of Rockford submitted a strong application identifying the need, the fiscal management ability, and experienced staff to administer the program, and received the maximum grant available.
City of Rockford Community and Economic Development Director Todd Cagnoni said: “The grant will provide us with additional resources to address vacant and abandoned property in Rockford. The properties we will be targeting are properties that are negatively affecting adjacent property, are associated with crime, are an increased fire risk, and affect the overall health of neighborhood and its residents.”
Posted April 24, 2014