- Obamacare: All eyes on high court
- Dems, Rauner spar over deficit solution; Senate Democrats poised to pass own version
- Minnie Minoso: Dead at 90, unbeaten
- Bring back legislative scholarships? Proposal faces serious questions from both sides
- First Friday opening for Olive Oil Experience
- RAM announce 74th Young Artist winners
- Texas Two-step: ‘Hogs sweep weekend, return home
- More highlights from the Chicago Auto Show
- Industry response to peak oil not enough long term
- TRRT March 4-10 | Online Edition
Literacy Council’s 11th Annual Half Marathon set for May 10
The 11th Annual Literacy Half Marathon will be at Vasa Park, 6616 42nd St., Rockford, Saturday, May 10. This is the original half marathon in the Rockford area. This year will also feature a brand-new event, the non-competitive 10k Fun Run/Walk for Literacy.
Last year, more than 240 runners helped to raise more than $18,000 for The Literacy Council’s operating expenses. Seventy-five percent of all funds collected went to the agency. This event has earned more than $85,000 in its 10 years.
The race starts and finishes at Vasa Park in Rockford. Participants will enjoy scenic Kishwaukee, Blackhawk Springs and Espenschied forest preserves. Seventy percent of the race is on trails ranging from flat and grassy double-track to twisting and technical single track. Most of the remaining 30 percent is on blacktopped roads and paths within the forest preserves. There are enough hills to keep everyone challenged.
All entrants are invited to join in a free post-race brunch provided by Red Lobster and locally brewed beer (must be 21 or older) from Rockford’s own Carlyle Brewing Co.
Find registration information and link to registration at www.theliteracycouncil.org.
From the April 30-May 6, 2014 issue