- Keeping up with Aida: A western adventure, part three
- State prepares for thousands of medical marijuana applications
- Rockford’s Choices Natural Market celebrates Non-GMO Month
- Week 5 NFL picks: Lions to improve to 4-1, Packers and Bears will keep pace at 3-2
- Craft Beer Scene Around Rockford: Revolution Brewing’s Oktoberfest offers good all-around balance
- Rockford’s Fall ArtScene at 37 locations Oct. 3-4
- Tales from the Trough: Preseason interview with ‘The Voice of the IceHogs,’ Mike Peck
- Mr. Green Car: Saltwater-powered car: the Quant e-Sportlimousine
- Charges re-filed against seven Hells Angels
- Tube Talk: Addicted to ‘Rehab Addict’
Literacy Council’s 11th Annual Half Marathon set for May 10
The 11th Annual Literacy Half Marathon will be at Vasa Park, 6616 42nd St., Rockford, Saturday, May 10. This is the original half marathon in the Rockford area. This year will also feature a brand-new event, the non-competitive 10k Fun Run/Walk for Literacy.
Last year, more than 240 runners helped to raise more than $18,000 for The Literacy Council’s operating expenses. Seventy-five percent of all funds collected went to the agency. This event has earned more than $85,000 in its 10 years.
The race starts and finishes at Vasa Park in Rockford. Participants will enjoy scenic Kishwaukee, Blackhawk Springs and Espenschied forest preserves. Seventy percent of the race is on trails ranging from flat and grassy double-track to twisting and technical single track. Most of the remaining 30 percent is on blacktopped roads and paths within the forest preserves. There are enough hills to keep everyone challenged.
All entrants are invited to join in a free post-race brunch provided by Red Lobster and locally brewed beer (must be 21 or older) from Rockford’s own Carlyle Brewing Co.
Find registration information and link to registration at www.theliteracycouncil.org.
From the April 30-May 6, 2014 issue