- Lee Hamilton: President, Congress should work together on military intervention
- Ethnic Parade and Festival Sunday, Sept. 21
- Symphony begins 80th season Sept. 20
- Vikings bar Adrian Peterson from team activities
- Mr. Green Car: A car from your printer
- Candle Crest owners to open their first store and manufacturing operation in Rockford
- DuPont ordered to pay $1.85M for killing trees
- Rockford hosts America’s largest World War II-era re-enactment Sept. 20-21
- Guest Column: Former alderman: Rail station should be on Cedar Street
- A visit to The Wall That Heals
Literacy Council’s 11th Annual Half Marathon set for May 10
The 11th Annual Literacy Half Marathon will be at Vasa Park, 6616 42nd St., Rockford, Saturday, May 10. This is the original half marathon in the Rockford area. This year will also feature a brand-new event, the non-competitive 10k Fun Run/Walk for Literacy.
Last year, more than 240 runners helped to raise more than $18,000 for The Literacy Council’s operating expenses. Seventy-five percent of all funds collected went to the agency. This event has earned more than $85,000 in its 10 years.
The race starts and finishes at Vasa Park in Rockford. Participants will enjoy scenic Kishwaukee, Blackhawk Springs and Espenschied forest preserves. Seventy percent of the race is on trails ranging from flat and grassy double-track to twisting and technical single track. Most of the remaining 30 percent is on blacktopped roads and paths within the forest preserves. There are enough hills to keep everyone challenged.
All entrants are invited to join in a free post-race brunch provided by Red Lobster and locally brewed beer (must be 21 or older) from Rockford’s own Carlyle Brewing Co.
Find registration information and link to registration at www.theliteracycouncil.org.
From the April 30-May 6, 2014 issue