- NWS: Thunderstorms expected Sunday night
- McKellen’s Mr. Holmes a satisfactory conclusion
- Rockford visitor spending jumps
- The misguided Cecil the lion debate
- State, union extend contract again
- Willow Creek left in the dust by development
- CUB helps residents find best deal
- What the Scott Walker fundraising controversy means for 2016
- Corn prices fade as supplies stay in surplus
- Cubs make history in an unfortunate way
Washington Academy receives state award for ninth consecutive year
Online Staff Report
Washington Academy is among 177 schools the Illinois State Board of Education has recognized for academic progress or excellence.
The magnet gifted school, which serves students in first through fifth grades in the Renaissance Gifted Academy, is a repeat winner of the Academic Excellence Award. It has received an excellence award every year since 2005.
The Academic Excellence Awards for 2013 recognize 23 schools that have sustained very high academic performance over at least three years. At award-winning schools, at least 90 percent of the students met or exceeded state standards in both reading and mathematics for at least three consecutive years. At Washington, 99 percent of students met or exceeded standards in math, and 98 percent met or exceeded standards in reading on state tests. In science, 100 percent of students met or exceeded standards. All Academic Excellence schools achieved Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) for years 2011-2013.
“I’m proud of the Washington students and staff for their continued success, and I’m excited they continue to receive recognition for their hard work,” said Rockford Public Schools Superintendent Ehren Jarrett.
The State Board establishes criteria, identifies winners of the awards and administers the Illinois Honor Roll, which is divided into three categories – Spotlight Schools, Academic Excellence and Academic Improvement. Each award has unique criteria that best reflect the diverse circumstances of Illinois schools.
- Spotlight Schools – Recognizes 37 high-poverty, high-performing schools that are beating the odds by overcoming the achievement gap.
- Academic Excellence Awards – 23 schools have sustained high performance over at least three years.
- Academic Improvement Awards – 125 schools are showing substantial improvement.