- Scammers lurking to trap last-minute Super Bowl ticket buyers
- Sharing memories of Ernie Banks
- EarthTalk: What fish can we eat?
- Rock Valley College hosts entrepreneurship event Jan. 30
- Tube Talk: ‘The Americans’ begins third season
- Conservatives join New Hampshire rally in support of campaign finance reform
- 11 public housing residents complete job readiness training
- Youth health care enrollment event at NIU Rockford Jan. 29
- More than 50 employers at Jan. 29 job fair
- School district’s credit rating remains solid
Nicor extends Extreme Winter Relief Fund deadline to May 9
Online Staff Report
NAPERVILLE, Ill. — Nicor Gas is extending the deadline for its Extreme Winter Relief Fund to May 9.
The special, temporary program was put into place in March to help more eligible customers qualify for heating assistance following one of the most severe winters in a decade.
The Extreme Winter Relief Fund, which is a temporary extension of Nicor Gas’ Sharing Program, provides grants to eligible customers without requiring them to make a matching payment.
Under the special program, Nicor Gas offers eligible customers younger than 65 $300 in assistance and $350 for those 65 and older.
Customers interested in applying for the special assistance program must meet all income and qualifying criteria and must have made a payment(s) totaling $75 within the last 60 days of the application date.
The special program was initially scheduled to run through April 28.
The Salvation Army-administered program is supported by direct contributions from Nicor Gas customers, employees and a company match. After May 9, the program will return to its original guidelines and continue to provide one-time grants to help qualifying families, as well as seniors and individuals with disabilities, to pay winter home heating costs.
Qualified applicants must be a residential heating customer of Nicor Gas with a payment due and must have a household income between 150 percent and 200 percent of the federally established poverty level. They also must be ineligible for state or federal energy assistance programs.
Customers interested in applying for help through the Extreme Winter Relief Fund can visit any of 41 local Salvation Army offices, and should take with them the following documentation: proof of income, proof of residence (photo ID, such as a driver’s license or state ID), proof of $75 payment within the last 60 days and current Nicor Gas bill.
Nicor Gas encourages customers to call 1-888-Nicor4u (642-6748) or visit www.nicorgas.com for more about the Extreme Winter Relief Fund.
Posted April 30, 2014