- Celebrate Dia de los Muertos at Riverfront Museum Park campus Nov. 1
- Lee Hamilton: Some thoughts on governing
- Top of Illinois Veterans Stand Down Oct. 31 in Rockford
- CUB shares list of worst customer horror stories
- Park District receives Governor’s Sustainability Award
- Park District’s ‘Ties & Tennies’ fund-raiser Nov. 14; deadline Nov. 6
- Nov. 2 concert celebrates release of Jodi Beach’s sixth recording
- Healthy Halloween Party Nov. 1 at U of I College of Medicine at Rockford
- Three local NFL Flag Football teams head to regional competition
- ‘Hoo’ Haven hosts annual open house Nov. 2 in Durand
School Academy Expo set for September, launch event May 1 in Belvidere
The third annual Academy Expo will be Tuesday, Sept. 16, at the BMO Harris Bank Center. This year, approximately 750 ninth-grade students from the Belvidere School District will join 2,000 ninth-grade students from Rockford Public Schools for this regional career exploration event.
“Rockford Public Schools welcomes Belvidere Schools to the 2014 Academy Expo,” said Dr. Ehren Jarrett, Rockford Public Schools superintendent. “The additional students and new partners from the Belvidere area provide another level of improvement to the event.”
Designed by Alignment Rockford’s Career Awareness Committee, this annual event brings together community organizations and public school students for hands-on, career-related demonstrations. Regional businesses, local colleges and universities, clubs, and agencies will provide authentic insights into the world of work.
“The Academy Expo is possible only because of the support that comes from nearly 150 community organizations,” said Dr. Jarrett. “I am extremely grateful the community has come together to provide this unique, high-quality college and career readiness-building experience for students.”
The addition of Belvidere School District students to the 2014 Academy Expo also brings organizations from Belvidere and Boone County.
“The Academy Expo will expose our students to the vast career opportunities to showcase what they have to offer future employees,” said Dr. Michael Houselog, superintendent of the Belvidere School District. “We are excited to be a part of the 2014 Academy Expo and partner with our friends at Rockford Public Schools and Alignment Rockford.”
A launch event, hosted by Growth Dimensions, will take place at 11 a.m., Thursday, May 1, at the Community Building Complex, 111 W. First St., Belvidere, Ill.
Alignment Rockford is a collaborative, non-profit framework for improving Rockford’s schools that coordinates community resources with the strategic plan of Rockford Public Schools District 205.
Alignment Rockford’s mission is to align community resources in support of public school strategies to raise student achievement, improve the health and happiness of our children, and advance the economic and social well-being of our community. Learn more about the plans, news and events from Alignment Rockford at www.alignmentrockford.com.
Posted April 30, 2014